This pound cake is the best thing in the world!! Seriously, is amazing how soft, fluffy and delicious it is; it literally melts in your mouth. The recipe we use is the same as a classic pound cake, only that we have added blueberries just to make it better.
The recipe asks for fresh blueberries because they work better and give a better flavor, but you can also use frozen blueberries, just keep in mind that they will release more water while baking and therefore afect the pound cake final result.
The classic pound cake is called this way because it is traditionally made with a pound of these 4 ingredients: butter, sugar, eggs and flour. However, the recipe can change depending on every country; in England is more commonly known as sponge cake, in USA is quite popular with sour cream, in Mexico is really common to find it with walnuts, raisins or chocolate chips.
But though the recipe changes a bit, which makes it a pound cake, is to always use the same quantity of these 4 ingredients.
*Quick tip. Toss the blueberries (previously disinfected) in some flour. This will keep them from staying only on the bottom.
- 170 gr unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tspn vanilla extract
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 2 tspn baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 C buttermilk (check out our recipe: buttermilk)
- 2 C fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Wash and disinfect the blueberries and once they´re dry toss a tbsp of the flour to coat them.
- In a bowl, sift together all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) and set aside.
- In a different bowl using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar for 3 to 5 min. until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add in the vanilla extract and keep beating for 2 more minutes.
- Incorporate dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) alternating with the buttermilk, starting and finishing with the dryingredients. Mix until it is all well intergrated.
- Lastly, carefully fold in blueberries.
- Pour the batter into a previosuly greased and floured pound cake pan.
- Bake at 350° F for 50 min. or until a wooden strick comes out clean when inserted.