This omelette sandwich is one of my favorite breakfasts. As many of you may already know I love eggs for breakfast, and in general. I like them scrambled, fried, poached, or hard boiled (cooked). I find they taste great on their own, with a little salt and maybe some salsa or chili powder. Eggs are great because they serve for many meals as well, which can be used as dinner or lunch, not just breakfast. They can be put inside a sandwich like this one, eaten on their own, or even on a pizza and they still look great!Jump to Recipe
We started making this sandwich at home a few years ago. There, my parents have this kind of rule that says that Sundays are always to be spent with the family. In the morning is to cook some breakfast that is much more special than weekday breakfasts. Usually it’s something like hot cakes or pancakes of some kind (which I as a child, and now sometimes call “quequis”), waffles, pancakes or crepes, egg omelets or enchiladas, for example.
One day it occurred to us to try an egg sandwich and from there we got the idea to look for more recipes and make this recipe. It is a sandwich with an omelette (the typical French one) inside, filled with spinach, mushrooms, ham, onion and cheese. The bread is spread with a little butter and mayonnaise. Also my brother and I love to put some ranch dressing spread on the breads, and some chili flakes, which for me enhances all the flavors very well.
We like to use a loaf of oatmeal bread that we get in our town to make this recipe, but the recipe can obviously be made with whatever bread you prefer. In fact a good brioche would be great, but if you don’t get any different bread you can simply make it with the typical loaf of bread that you get in any store or the supermarket.
If you like having special brekfast recipes for the weekends, then go see our croque monsieur sandwich, it is simply amazing.
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 C white onion chopped
- 6 slices ham chopped
- 1 C mushrooms sliced
- A bunch fresh spinach rinsed clean and teared to pieces
- 5.3 z (150 gr) mozzarella cheese (any other kind that melts easily will do)
- Vegetable oil as needed
- 6 slices bread
- Butter to taste
- Mayonnaise to taste
- Ranch dressing optional
- For the omelette filling pour some oil in a hot pan. Saute onion and ham for about 10 min. Then add in the spinch and mushrooms and keep sauteing for about 1 min. Then set aside.
- Whisk and egg with a milk splash and season to taste with salt an pepper. Pour this mixture over a hot saucepan with some oil making it spread all over the pan to form a circle. After 3 min. flip it so the other side can cook. Place some cheese slices on half the egg and some mushroom filling on top, and fold the other half on top of that, like you would a quesadilla, and let it cook some more time.
- Toast two slices of bread and butter them. Then, to ensemble the sandwich spread some mayonaise on the slices of bread, and place the omelette between them. Repeat this procedure for the rest of the sandwiches.
- I recommend eating this with ranch dressing.