This beef burger with caramelized red cabbage is amazing. We first made it for a family dinner. We made our famous hamburger brioche buns and used them for these, such a great combination.
I love for a meal to have both sweet and savory flavors at the same time, I think it tastes great. It makes it all the more interesting. So usually, when we make any type of hamburger I like using some caramelized onion, because it gives it that touch. Now, cabbage is even better, because it feels better than onion, and using red cabbage is even more fun.Jump to Recipe
Now, we like a beef cut that in Mexico is called “cabreria”. Just make sure you use a good cut that is soft and that you like. This is important here, because in this recipe we use the beef in squares or small pieces but not ground like most other hamburgers.
The bread we use is our hamburger brioche bun, which is so good, soft and fluffy, we love it for all type of hamburguers. It takes time to make but it is totally worth it.
This burguer is great with some french fries on the side, or oven fried fried, whatever you call them, the point here is to have crunchy and crisp potatoes to eat this with. Another option is to eat this with some sweet potato fries, which gives all this a natural sweet twist. And if we add a piece of sweet corn to this, YUM! there is nothing better.
If you like this recipe, then you have to go see our pulled pork hamburger, with homemade pulled pork, it is so good!
- 4 hamburguer buns brioche type (our recipe is here)
- 600 gr beef whichever you prefer
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Oil as needed
- 1/2 Purple cabbage
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 1.40 oz (40 gr) unsalted butter
- 1 tomato
- Cheese any type you like that melts well
- Italian lettuce as needed
- Mayonnaise to taste
- Rinse and disinfect the lettuce leaves the necessary amount of time.
- Add salt and pepper to the beef to taste, and cut it in pieces, and then cook it on a pan with oil to medium heat.
- Chop the cabbage and add the sugar, butter and let it caramelize on its own.
- While the beef and cabbage are cooking, dry the lettuce with a kitchen towel and cut it in pieces.
- Slice the tomato and cook it a little on a pan with oil.
- Partir los panes por la mitad y poner a tostar en un sartén.
- To ensemble the hamburguer, spread some mayo onto the buns, then put some lettuce on, then some slices os tomato, a little (or a lot) of caramelized cabbage, then some beef and then the cheese (which will melt because of the heat of the beef) and lastly the other half of the bun. You´re done!