There´s something special about guacamole. For us that live in mexico is something common to eat it really often. But we have met people from other countries that as soon as they found out we were mexican the first thing they asked was if we knew how to make guacamole, and asked for us to please give them the recipe, which of course, we did.Jump to Recipe
And the thing is that it seems as though guacamole recipe has been distorted a lot. Let me clarify, there are different types of guacamole in Mexico. We live in a state in the north of Mexico, so our recipe might be different to someone else´s recipe in the south, but they´re overall the same thing. Some guacamoles are thin, liquid-like, which are used to eat with tacos for example, and then there´s the type of guacamole that we will show you how to make here, which most would normally eat as a snack with some totopos or as a side dish.
Now, if you´re reading this from some other country it maybe hard for you to find some of the ingredients that this recipe calls for, or they might be expensive over there. So if you don´t have fresh cheese, you can use panela cheese or even cottage cheese instead. And if you can´t find green lemons, or limes, you can always use the usual yellow lemon. Now, as for the serrano chili, if you´re not used to it be careful, since it´s really spicy, but if you don´t find it or don´t dare to try it, use whatever chili you like.
If you like this recipe and like mexican food, you will love our flour tortillas, our chicken fajitas, or our homemade beef chili recipe. Maybe you could even go see our canasta tacos recipe.
- 2 avocados ripe
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 white onion
- 1/2 serrano chile
- Fresh cheese needed amount
- The juice of one lime or half a lemon
- Salt to taste
- Using a cutting board, cut the avocados by half and take out the seed. Now take the avocados out of their skins and place them in a big bowl or in a molcajete.
- Smash the avocados using a masher until you gat a lumpy mixture.
- In the same cutting board, chop the tomato, onion, chili and the cheese in small cubes and add them to the avocado mix.
- Add in after that the lemon juice and the salt. Mix it all with a spoon and you´re good to go!