This tuna teriyaki steak recipe is really easy to make, really yummy and healthy. We usually eat it along with a season fruit salad, with caramelized pecan nuts and goat cheese, which we think goes great with the tuna, but you can eat it with rice on the side instead, some pasta or even mashed potatos or something else, but the truth is that with the salad you get the perfect combination.Jump to Recipe
This recipe calls for tuna medallions, not canned tuna. Tuna medallions are great. Now, here’s a dilema, because there are different tyoes of tuna. Theres the white tuna (which in Mexico is known as “bonito”), there’s the yellowfin tuna, bluefin tuna, bigeye tuna and skipjack tuna. When we say tuna medallions we usually are referring to yellowfin or bluefin tuna, and here’s where thing Which one tastes better, bluefin tuna or yellowfin tuna?. We, personally, prefer the bluefin tuna better. The flavor, to me, seems fresher and also softer when eating it. This type is really common in Mexico, specially in the gulf of mexico or in the pacific, so this is the tuna I have eaten all my life. But there’s people that prefer yellowfin tuna. Here you can use whichever you prefer.
So, with this recipe, you can choose and use whichever type you want, but we always use bluefin tuna medallions. This type of tuna stays red colored or pink when cooked, and it tastes amazing on it’s own raw. In Mexico we actually eat ir raw often, in ceviche, aguachile, with totopos, avocado and sauces.
In the recipe says to cook the tuna for 5 min. each side, bacause we like it to be 3/4 cooked, a little raw in the middle, so it is soft when you cut it, but if you like it well-done then cook it for about 6-7 min each side.
If you like this recipe you have to go see our coconut braised salmon.
Teriyaki sauce tuna with fruit salad
For the tuna:
- 4 tuna medallions
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 C teriyaki sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
For the salad:
- 1 lettuce your preference (we use italian lettuce)
- 8 figs fresh
- 2 green apples
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 C pecan nuts caramelized
- Goat cheese soft
For the tuna:
- Season with salt and pepper the tuna medallions.
- Mix the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and garlic together.
- Marinate the medallions in the sauce for 30 min.
- In a pan to medium-high heat with some oil, cook the medallions for 5 min. each side.
- Take them out of the heat and now pour the marinate sauce on the same pan, turn the heat up and stir. Some bubbles will appear, keep beating for about 3 min.
- Serve each medallion with sauce poured on top and some salad on the side.
For the salad:
- Wash, dry and then chop the lettuce.
- Likewise, chop the figs, the apples and the tomato.
- Place the lettuce along with the figs, the apples and the tomato in a plate and top it off with the caramelized pecans and some goat cheese.