This is the best vegan chocolate cake you will find. Simple put. It’s a vegan cake that doesn’t taste vegan. I dare to say that it tastes the same or even better than any other chocolate cake.Jump to Recipe
And I say this because making a vegan cake is a bit complicated. Mainly because you can’t use eggs and eggs help a lot to make the cake rise when baking. and also because it gives the cake a great “richness”.
Sincerely it was hard to come up with a recipe that turned out the way we wanted it to. If I´m honest I´m not such a big fan of vegan food, because of the limitations it implies. But we had a very special request of a chocolate cake from a friend of us (sorry for taking too long by the way) and we know a lot of people out there now are vegans, so this is for all of you.
By definition, a vegan person does not consume any animal origin products. Hence the challenge, that means no butter, no eggs, no milk, etc.
However, I do must say I was impressed with how easy it was, because nowadays there are a lot of options to use as substitutes for these ingredients and end up with a delicious chocolate cake!
****Before heading straight to the recipe I must clarify that the frosting included in this recipe is not vegan. And for someone strictly vegan I must also mention that even when the ingredients used in this recipe are not animal sourced on their own, you will have to look really carefully into the list of ingredients of the products you buy to make sure none of them have traces of animal sourced food.
If you like this recipe, you have to go see our mayo chocolate cake.
Vegan chocolate cake
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 C all purpouse flour
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 1 C water cold
For the frosting (optional):
- 3/4 C semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 C whipping cream
- Preheat the oven at 350° F (180º C).
- In a big bowl mix all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, coffee and baking soda).
- In a different bowl, mix vanilla, oil, vinegar and water.
- Add the liquids mixture onto the dry ingredients and mix until everythings well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture in a square mold (about 7.5 x 7.5 inch – 20 x 20 cm) previously greased and floured and bake for 30-35 min. or until you get a clean wooden stick after inserting it in the cake.
- While the cake´s baking, to make the frosting, place the chocolate chips in a heat resistent bowl. Then, in a small pan to medium heat, heat the whipping cream and, once it boils, pour it over the chocolate chips. Mix well until you get a soft frosting, and let it sit for it to thickens a little.
- Once the cake is ready, let it cool completely and then (if you so wish to) spread the frosting all over the surface. Cut it out into small squares and enjoy!!