The first time we ate these type of pretzels, my dad loved them so much that he kept on insisting on us to figure out how to make our own at home. It was not until way later, that we asked you guys to give us ideas on recipes we should try or that you wanted to see here through our instagram account that one of our readers suggested we should make soft pretzels with a cheese sauce, so, here you have the recipe.
I have to say they turned out great! they are perfect as a snack, to watch movies or a game, along with some other snacks and beer, and the truth is, as like with many other things in life, it is easier than it looks.
The best with these is to eat them with a cheese sauce, which recipe we promise to upload a few weeks from now. So we dip the pretzel in the cheese sauce before every bite, YUM!
For the dough:
- 1/2 C lukewarm water
- 1/2 C lukewarm whole milk
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 C all purpouse flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (1 oz (30 gr)) unsalted butter, at room temperature
For cooking and baking:
- 5 C water
- 1/3 C baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Coarse salt, to taste
For the dough
- In the bowl of a standing mixer with the dough hook on, place the water, milk, sugar and salt, and mix a little, to then add on top the yeast and let it sit for it to rise for 10 minutes.
- Add in the butter and flour and turn on the mixer to low to combine it all. Then turn the speed up and mix for about 7 minutes until you get a smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl with some oil on the sides, cover it up and let it rise for 1 hour.
For cooking and baking
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spread some oil on them.
- Add the water and baking soda to a roasting pan or cooking pot placed on the stove to heat it to medium until it starts boiling.
- To form the pretzels, cut the dough into 12 equal pieces, roll each pice into a rope and make a U shape, then roll the ends together and press them at the bottom of the U shape, as seen in the pictures below. Place the pretzels on the baking sheets.
- Place each pretzels in the boiling water to cook them for 15 seconds or until they start floating. Place them on the baking sheets again.
- Beat the egg and butter together and brush the mixture onto the pretzels. Then sprinkle the salt on top of each.
- Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 12 to 14 minutes or until they turn golden brown.