This savory sweet potato mash is something we really wanted to make. And make it great. Sweet potato is pretty sweet on its own, but we wanted to make a recipe of sweet potato mash that was savory, to taste different.
Now, for me, mash is something we have to eat little by little, and eating it along with something else. It is perfect to use as a side dish, maybe with roasted vegetables, or pork or beef, or something you like.Jump to Recipe
The flavor of sweet potato is something that is a little tiring. Do not get me wrong, but that sweetness it has, is the same very thing that makes it tiring when you eat a lot of sweet potato, whichever way you eat it. But if we eat in the right amount then it is great! It is like a potato but different, better sometimes even!
We love using it to make sweet potato fries, just like the typical potato fries or french fries but with sweet potato, plus our recipe to make sweet potato fries makes them crispy every time. Also go chek out our loaded sweet potato fries if you are looking for something more filling.
Food has a unique way of comforting people, and with fall and winter coming, we love making comforting food that´s rich, good, healthy, filling and delicious. We all love this type of things. Things that make you feel at home somehow.
We were craving this recipe so much! Then finally we made it, and it is as good as we thought it would be.
If you like this recipe, you have to see our applesauce, which is easy to make and goes great with pancakes, and most things sweet.
Savory sweet potato mash
- 1.80 lbs (800gr) (about 2 big pieces) sweet potato
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tsp (10.5 gr) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 gr) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp (37 gr) heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp (0.80 gr) pepper
- Olive oil needed amount
- Spring onion or parsley , to decorate (optional)
- Peel the sweet potato and chop it into medium size dices and cut the garlic in small pieces. Put a big pot on the stove over medium high heat with some oil, and put the sweet potato and garlic there and cook for 3 minutes until the turn slightly golden brown.
- Add in enough water to cover the pieces of sweet potato plus 1/2 tsp salt, let it boil and then lower the heat to let it cook (with no lid on) for 9-12 minutes until it turns soft.
- Once the sweet potato is fully cooked (you´ll know it when a fork easily slides into it), drain the water and put the pieces back in the potl. Now, mash it with a potato masher until you have a smooth paste.
- While the sweet potato is still hot add in the rest of the salt, butter, heavy cream and pepper. Mix using a fork for all the ingredients to come together.
- Serve while hot with some spring onion or parsley if you wish. If you have some leftovers you can store them in the fridge for up to 4 days.