Lemon pie ice cream is our lemon pie with cookies made into ice cream.
There was not a dessert I liked better as a child than the lemon pie with cookies my father made for us… it was the excuse to spend time with him and eat something delicious. The recipe was his grandma´s, with whome, he says, shared some of his best childhood memories and this pie was all part of that. I vaguely remember everytime we wanted to make this recipe he would call her and ask how many limes we had to use for the mixture, the answear was always the same: -7 limes-, which is something we all knew but he just wanted to make her laugh and chat for a while. After consulting about the quantity of limes, we then started making the mixture in the blender and assembling the pie with cookies… the best part was when my dad would let us eat the leftover mixture. The memories!!Jump to Recipe
Well this recipe is not for the lemon pie with cookies, which by the way you have to go check out, but an ice cream inspired by it. An ice cream without using any ice cream machine nor weird utensils, so you have no excuses.
One question before I go on… which is the lemon for you?, for me a lemon is green, and small and lime is the bigger yellow one, which I almost never ate while in Mexico because the green ones where pretty much everywhere. I think people call them what they want iin different countries, In Spain, at least, is the other way around. But so you don´t get confused you can either use the green or the yellow ones.
I think it is pretty much known that in Mexico we love limes… I even know some people that even put some on pizza. I really like it with seafood, specially with ceviche which is one of my favorite meals (but this is a different topic). The good thing is lime (or lemons) are really versatile both for savory food, and desserts, and even for cleaning.
To make this ice cream you do not need to make a lemon pie with cookies and an ice cream separately, we instead make an ice cream that tastes just as the pie: lime (or lemon), cookies and milk or cream. You do not need a machine because why would we make it even harder if the freezer is enough. Plus this recipe does not call for egg yolks, whcih means you do not even need to cook it. To put it briefly, it´s a really easy to make ice cream, perfect for hanging out with family, just like we did with our father when we made our lemon pie with cookies.
Lemon pie ice cream
- 1 pack (6.7 oz) (190 gr) cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 can (14 oz) (397 gr) condensed milk
- 1/2 C whipping cream cold
- 7 limes, the juice or about 4 lemons
- The zest of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 vanilla cookies, type "maria" cookies
- Place the cookies inside a plastic bag and mash them using a glass. You can also do this using your hands.
- In a big bowl cream the cream cheese using a mixer. Add in the condensed milk and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the whipping cream, salt, and lemon zest and juice. Beat for 1 minute until you get a soft creamy mixture. Add in the cookies and mix using a rubber spatula.
- Once ready, plate the mixture in a cake or bread pan of about 8 x 4 inches (20cm x 10cm). Cover it with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours.