Oh chicken fajitas ¡My sweet beloved Mexico is in the house! With this all time favorite Tex-Mex recipe that is to die for with some quesadillas, guacamole, totopos, flour tortillas, cheese and homemade green salsa.
As you may know, I am mexican, and I speak a different spanish than people do in Spain, I call this mexican. Plus, I was born in the north o Mexico and I use different words than some other people from other parts of Mexico do. Nevertheless, and in spite of the cultural differences between the north and south of Mexico there are two things all mexicans know: the first is fajitas aren´t all that common in Mexico and the second is the difference between tortillas and fajitas.Jump to Recipe
And I say this because I have found myself questioning all my knowledge about mexican food when I hear people calling tortillas “fajitas”. And there´s something to clarify here, tortillas are not fajitas and can´t be called that just because they are sometimes used to eat along fajitas. I know this is not that important, but I wanted to state the difference.
This is the recipe for making chicken fajitas, not tortillas (which here you have the recipe to make those), and it calls for just a few ingredients because the key here are the spices. Truth be told you can buy the typicall taco seasoning but it is way better to use your own mixture of psices. I add some spicy ones because I love it, but you can skip those and add then some chili flakes or salsa while serving.
Fajitas can be made either with chicken, beef or however you like them, to me the most versatile ones are the ones made with chicken, to which you can add pretty much anything you want.
One important thing sabout making fajitas is making sure to cook the vegetables and chicken separetaly and over a high temperature so there´s not much water coming out of the chicken and the vegatebles turn golden brown. the rest is easy and fast as you will see in the recipe.
My favorite way to eat fajitas is to use them in quesadillas with some guacamole, which to be honest goes well with just about anything. We will soon upload the recipe to make chicken fajitas quesadillas, but in the meantime here you go the chicken fajitas recipe.
To make this great, eat it along with some guacamole and homemade tortillas! You will be in mexican heaven.
- 21 oz (600 gr) chicken breast
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 10 mushrooms fresh
- 3 tsp oregano dry
- 3 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp (0.80 oz) (22 gr) brown sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 limes or lemons
- Mince garlic. Chop the onion and peppers lengthwise, slice the mushrooms and cut the chicken in strips.
- Place a pan on the stove over medium high heat and pour some oil on it. Place the garlic, onion and peppers on it and stir until they turn golden brown and the onion turns transparent. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for one more minute. Take this out of the pan to cook the chicken.
- Cook the chicken using the same pan pver medium high heat with some oil for about 3 minutes. Season the chicken using all the spices called for in the recipe, the sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Keep stiring and cook for 3 more minutes until the chicken is ready.
- Add in the onion and pepper mixture and mix some more.
- Take off of the heat and serve with some guacamole, totopos, tortillas or just some lime juice.