Pulled pork is one of those filling meals we all crave once in a while. You know, when we are hungry but don´t know exactly what we want to eat, we start mentally going through the things we could eat, and that almost always includes pizza, nachos, sushi, tacos and pulled pork hamburguers. At least that´s what I think of when really hungry.
Pulled pork is one of the common things we see in social media that makes our mouths water and then we start planning on going to eat pulled pork and who we could go with, etc. (that´s me).Jump to Recipe
One day my sister and I were like -why don´t we make homemade pulled pork?-. You just need a good piece of por, spices and an oven. We only needed to buy the pork and spices and be so patient, because it takes a while.
The most important thing about pulled pork is to let it cook for a long time on low heat to make it fall apart on its own. Another important thing to note is the por piece you use; it has to be in one piece and preferably it is at least 2 lbs (to make it worth your while) and have a high fat content. It is best if made with blade bone, hand or shoulder but we have even made it with pork loin and it turns out just great too.
Pulled pork on its own is just shredded pork meat, but the main thing here is using a sauce you like, it will give ir more flavor and moistness. We use barbecue sauce but you can really use whichever sauce you want and the directions are the same because you add the sauce at the end of it all.
In the recipe you´ll see the pulled pork has to be seared at first before putting it in the oven. This is so that the pork piece forms a crust on the outside and then for it to slowly cook on the inside. That way the meat will be juicy and soft.
As I have mentioned before, this is an easy recipe that just takes time to cook, it is a good idea to make it ahead, the day before, and just heat it up the day you want to eat it. My favorite way to eat it is in a hamburguer, but you could also eat it with coleslaw or pickles and it will be so good!
If you like this recipe then you will for sure love our chicken boneless with buffalo sauce recipe.
- 2.20 lbs (1 kg) Pork meat cut in one piece boneless (blade bone, hand or shoulder)
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) (30 gr) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (0.60 oz) (18 gr) salt
- 3/4 tbsp (1.80 oz) (5.2 gr) paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ground
- 2 white or purple onions
- 6.80 fl oz (200 ml) beer
- Barbecue sauce needed amount
- Vegetable oil
- In a small bowl mix the salt and the rest of spices. Cut the excess grease off the pork piece and spread the spices mixture all over it, trying to completely cover it. Cover the pork with some plastic kitchen wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Once this time has passed, turn on the oven to 300º F (150º C) and line a rectangular baking sheet (where you´ll put the pork) with parchment paper. Chop the onions in long strips and place them on the baking sheet.
- Put a pan on the stove over medium-high heat and add some oil. Put the pork piece on the pan to sear all of its sides. It will cook for about 2 minutes until lighty golden.
- Once seared, turn off the stove and add the beer to the same pan. Let it sit for 2 minutes and then place it on the baking sheet along with the beer liquid.
- Cover the baking sheet with some aluminium foil and bake to 300º F (150º C) for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Then, take off the aluminium foil and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes more (if the pork starts to turn too brown turn it over to cook on the other side).
- Once the time has passed, shred the pork using a knife and a fork until you get medium size pieces.
- Once all the pork is shredded and pulled apart, add the sauce you prefer, we here use barbecue sauce, and completely cover it. Put back in the oven for 10 more minutes and ¡you´re done!