Pancakes can be made using lots of ingredients, so today we are making coconut pancakes, because we love both pancakes and coconut.Jump to Recipe
To me, pancakes are a sunday morning ritual. The truth is, when living in Mexico they were something we cooked almost every sunday for breakfast or brunch.
Pancakes to me, should be sweet, and with sweet toppings, but there’s only one way that I can eat them savory: with cheddar type cheese melted on top (the nachos type cheese) and some turkey ham slices on top cooked on the pan. I know it sounds a little weird but this combination is just amazing. Generally, I would eat first one pancake like this and then go on to eating another pancake with something sweet on top, with some dulce de leche on top, or maybe some cream cheese and nutella.
Pancakes are so diverse that they can be healthy, vegan, gluten-free, low in carbs, etc. I prefer them to be just regular pancakes to then add whichever toppings I like on top.
These coconut pancakes are really soft and fluffy. They have a light and not too sweet flavor, so they are perfect to eat with some honey and fruit.
According to me, one of the key points to get a round pancake is to make one by one and not add to much mixture on to the pan. This is, of course, usign a big pan to make them be perfect. When I’m in a hurry I usually make them two at a time, and they always sort of end up a bit irregular. Anyways, the good part is cooking at home and making them be really yummy.
The coconut this recipe calls for is natural sugrafree chredded coconut, or coconut flour which is basically the same but processed. Then, you can add some coconut as a topping.
If you like this recipe, you have to see our pumpkin pancakes, perfect for fall.
- 1 1/4 C (5.70 oz) (162 gr) all purpouse flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) (30 gr) granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp (0.25 oz) (7 gr) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.12 oz) (3.5 gr) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (0.06 oz) (1.7 gr) salt
- 1/4 C (0.88 oz) (25 gr) natural sugarfree shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C (4 fl oz) (120 ml) buttermilk
- 3/4 C (6 fl oz) (180 ml) coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) (30 gr) unsalted butter, melted
- Unsalted butter for cooking (needed amount)
- In a big bowl, combine the flour wiht the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and shredded coconut.
- In a different bowl, using a hand whisk, mis the egg with the buttermilk, coconut milk and butter for 1 minute until it is all well incorporated.
- Add the liwuid ingredients into the flour mixture and mix for 30 seconds until you get a soft and smooth batter.
- In a big pan on the stove over medium heat put some butter. Once hot, pour a big spoon of the batter to make a oancake.
- Cook for 2 minutes until the pancake surface has bubbles, Turn it over and cook it for one more minute until it is golden brown. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter until you make about 8 pancakes.
- Serve the pancakes while hot with some syrup or honey. You can also eat this pancakes with some shredded coconut and fresh fruit.