Spiced shrimp is the best way to eat shrimp ever (according to me). They are a bit spicy, but not too much, and without oyu knowing you easily eat a lot of them, 10 or 20, who knows, at the end you won’t even be sure and will be counting the shells to try to guess the number. It has happened to me.
Now, it may sound weird, spiced shrimps, specially in spanish, since we call them “Zarandeados” a word used in Mexico to mean “shake” or “disturb”. Now, a recipe like this, in Mexico is more usual using fish, wich is really good too, but I find I like shrimps better like this.Jump to Recipe
This recipe is really good. It mixes sauces to marinate the shrimp and have a rich and full of flavor meal. This is great to eat along with some rice, maybe some tomate rice, the way we make it in Mexico, these two would go perfectly together.
Now, when we say shrimp “camarones” in spanish, we mean the big ones, called “gambas” in Spain. I am not really sure if there is another variant or word to be used for differnt types of shrimp in English, if there is, pleas let me know, I am want to know.
Now, the shrimp you use for this recipe have to be nice and big, with a lot of meat, otherwise they won’t work as well to marinate. This is because when you marinate them, you first have to cut them open lenghtwise, to open them and sort of form a “butterfly” shape with them, and if they were to be small, they wouldn’t open as nicely.
If you lie shrimp, this will become you favorite recipe, and if not, then this recipe will make you like them, trust me, it is that good.
In this recipe we use a spicy sauce to marinate, which we really enjoy, but if you, for example, do not enjoy spicy things that much, then you can simply add a bit less sauce than the recipe calls for, and it will be just fine.
If you like this recipe, you have to go see our coconut braised salmon recipe, you will love it!
- 3.30 lbs (1.5 kg) shrimp, big raw, frozen and with the shells on
- Salt to taste
- Black peper to taste
- Hot sauce (huichol, valentina, guacamaya or similar) to taste
- 1/2 C Oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp Seasoning sauce (Maggi* type)
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- 5 cloves garlic for cooking
- Butter for cooking
- Using a sharp knife, cut open each shrimp lenghtwise, to make a "butterfly" like shape with eahc one. Remove the black string inside the shrinp if desired. Leave the shells on. It is best for the shrimp to be frozen, since it's easier to cut them open this way. Once you cut them open, place each one in a tray or bowl open like that.
- In a small bowl mix together the hot sauce, oyster sauce, seasoning sauce, and worcestershire sauce using a spoon.
- Using a kitchen brush or using your own fingers, brush each shrimp, making sure to coat them entirely, so they can absorb the mixture. Place them in a tray or tupperware and cover them with kitchen plastic wrap or a lid to them let them sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- To cook them, take the shrimp out of the fridge. Place a big saucepan on the stove over medium heat and pour some vegetable oil for cooking. Cut the garlic into small pieces and put it in the pan to cook.
- When the garlic turns slightly golden brown remove it, leaving the oil there. Add some butter and cook each shrimp with the shell facing up and them turn them once to cook on the other side.
- Take off the heat and serve while still hot.