Scrambled eggs with corn tortillas are a traditional mexican breakfast. Now, I can’t speak on behalf of the whole country, but at least in the north of Mexico, this dish is really traditional. Our mom always used to make this for breakfast, on school mornings.Jump to Recipe
It is a wholesome and filling breakfast that tastes great. And you can get creative while cooking it.
Now, something very common is to add some ketchup on top, after the dish is ready, because it give them an extra touch of flavor that is just great. Also, “sopitas con huevo” as this is called in spanish taste great with ketchup because eggs in general go great with ketchup as well.
Now, these mexican scrambled eggs with corn tortillas are made differently all over the country, but this is the way we make and love them. We add some white onion and some Anaheim chile, or italian pepper, as they call it sometimes, which is spicy but only a little, so it doesn’t feel overwhelming.
Now, we actually really like adding some melting cheese on top, while cooking and mix it so it melts. A lot of people also mix in some fresh cheese, after cooking, and it also tastes great like that.
If you like this recipe, you have to go see our breakfast burritos, with scrambled eggs and beef mexican chili, which you will love.
- 1 white onion
- 1/2 anaheim chile or italian pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 10 eggs, big
- 2 tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil
- 3.5 oz (100 gr) fresh cheese, cut into cubes
- Cut the onion and anaheim chile into small dices. Place a pan on the stove over medium heat with some oil, and place there the vegetables and ook for 3 minutes until they turn tender.
- Cut the tortillas into medium size squares with the help of a pair of kitchen siccors or using your hands. Crack open the eggs into a medium size bowl, add the milk and whisk using a fork.
- Put the tortillas on the pan along with the vegetables and cook with some more oil for 3 to 4 minutes until they turn golden brown. Season with some salt.
- Add in the beaten egg and fresh cheese (optional), mix well and cook for 2 minutes until the eggs are done. Season with a bit more salt is necessary.
- Serve the scrambled eggs with corn tortillas with some mashed beans or ketchup.