Spinach egg in a hole and pretty much egg in a hole is such a traditional recipe. I actually really love any food that has to do breakfast or brunch time. I love all the posibilities, because it is a perfect moment to eat something sweet or savory or both at the same time.Jump to Recipe
Now, this recipe in specific is really fun, because it is a toast with an egg in the middle, not cooked apart but both at the same time and together. To this we add some spinach and melting cheese and we have a great dish and such a delicacy.
This is a simple and easy recipe, that is great for when you have people coming over, because you will look like a pro without that much of an effort. People will be amazed with this recipe and you will be so happy to make something so simple yet good looking and tasting.
To make this recipe we prefer using a rustic type bread that is long, not your typical slice of bread, to be able to eat more bread and to have more space to put the egg in and have space.
When it comes to the cheese, you have to use a cheese that melts well and that you enjoy and like. We recommend using chihuahua cheese, or oaxaca, gouda or gruyere, they would all work amazingly with this recipe.
We cook the toasts with the egg in the oven, and then tale it out when the bread starts to look a bit golden brown. The ideal thing is to take it out when the egg yolk is still runny on the inside. If you don’t like it like this it is best to leave it in the oven for longer, so the egg yolk cooks until it is they way you like it.
If you like this recipe, then make sure to go see our eggs benedict recipe.
Egg in a hole
- 2 slices of rustic bread
- 2 eggs
- 3.50 oz (100 gr) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Spinach sprouts, needed amount
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 392º F (200º C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut a hole in the center of each bread slice using a round cookie cutter or a glass of about 2.75 inches (7 cm) in diameter.
- Place the breads on the baking sheet, place some spinach in the hole without covering it entirely, and carefully crack open the eggs in each hole. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add some more spinach (without covering the egg entirely) and half of the shredded cheese on each slice of bread, spreading it all over the bread.
- Bake it all for 7 minutes until the egg white looks firm and the egg yolk is still runny. Take out of the oven and serve while still hot.