These crispy chipotle chicken wings are very easy to make. They are crazy crispy, full of flavor, with a chipotle chili sauce made with coca cola, which makes them have a delicious consistency, literally finger-licking good.Jump to recipe
Most wings are made fried, and the truth is that they turn out very well, but this chipotle wings recipe is to make them in the oven. You will be surprised how crispy they are baked, with lots of flavor, and with a crunchy layer on top that is a pleasure to eat.
I always love to eat these kind of snacks or meals with french fries, because they give an extra touch to everything that tastes great. This recipe in particular goes very well with a little bit of cilantro on top and lime or lemon wedges to go with it, but these two things are optional. A good beer also goes very well with these wings, as with almost any other kind of wings.
A crucial thing to do when making baked wings is to bake them on a rack, with a tray or baking sheet underneath, so that any juices or sauce can drip down there while they bake. This is important because the wings must have that space underneath, to cook well on all sides, and crisp up, down and all over. This is the key to crispy wings done in the oven.
Now, as you will see in the recipe, you have to first season the chicken, then bake it, brush the sauce on top, and then bake some more. This makes that the sauce so thick and delicious, and it prevents it from falling off the wings.
If you like this recipe, then you have to check out our boneless buffalo wings, which are tremendous!
Crispy chipotle chicken wings
For the chicken wings:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) chicken wings
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tbsp paprika, smoked
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, to decorate (optional)
- Lime or lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
For the chipotle glaze:
- 7.5 fl oz (220 ml) Coca cola (a small can)
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobado sauce, pureed (or chipotle sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tsp of cold water
To make the chicken wings:
- Preheat the oven to 400º F (200º C). Line a big baking sheet with aluminium foil, then place a wired rack on top of it.
- Pat dry the chicken wings with paper kitchen towels. In a big plastic bag, place the cumin, salt, paprika, black pepper, and baking powder to combine. Add in the chicken and shake to coat all the wings.
- Place the seasoned chicken wings on top of the wire rack and spray or drizzle some oil on top.
- Bake the chicken wings for 35 to 40 minutes, turning them once, in the middle of baking them, until they are fully cooked, turn golden brown and are crispy.
To make the chipotle glaze:
- In a big saucepan over medium heat on the stove, place the coca cola, chipotle puree, garlic, brown sugar and soy sauce, and mix to combine. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until is reduces by half, about 15 minutes. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and continue to cook for 2 more minutes until it thickens, then set aside.
- When the chicken is cooked, generously brush the chicken wings with the chipotle glaze and bake for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime or lemon wedges if using. Serve while still hot.