Virgin piña colada is a non-alcoholic version of the classic piña colada, that is why it is called virgin. It maintains the freshness, flavor and sweetness, but without the alcohol.Jump to recipe
Now, I grew up knowing a drink that we called “one o one” at home, which was precisely a kind of virgin piña colada. It was our dad’s specialty. He made it very frequently, especially on Saturday afternoons or Sundays at any time of the day, during the hot weather, always with a smile on his face.
This and lemon pie with cookies were the two recipes I always made, so I have a very special fondness for it. Now, we called it “one o one” because it was called something similar at a bar where our dad tried some kind of virgin piña colada that he really liked. Since then he started making it himself, and he made a lot of it, so we could all have some.
So I never really call it a virgin piña colada, I call it a “one o one”, especially when I’m with my family, because we all know what we mean.
It’s a very refreshing drink perfect for the summer, because it’s a kind of “frapeado”, with lots of ice and sweet, coconut and pineapple flavor. It’s delicious, and also very easy and quick to make.
For decoration we use only a piece of fresh pineapple, which I love. You can also put a piece of some other fruit, the classic is to use a cherry in syrup, but you can also put a slice or a piece of kiwi for example.
Now, to make this recipe, you need a good blender, which breaks up the ice well, or a smoothie maker that can break it up well, to get that “frappeado” consistency that is typical of piña colada.
If you like this recipe, then you should go see our hawaiian bread.
Virgin piña colada
- 2 C (480 ml) pineapple juice
- 3/4 C (180 ml) coconut cream or milk
- 1/4 C (60 ml) evaporated milk or regular milk
- 4 C ice
- Pineapple pieces and canned cherries, to decorate (optional)
- Put all the ingredients (but the pineapple pieces and cherries) into a blender or food processor and blend for 30 to 60 seconds until you get a smooth drink.
- Pour the piña colada into 4 separate glasses and decorate with the pineapple pieces and cherries.