A pizzadilla is a mix between a pizza and a quesadilla, hence the name pizzadilla. It is very similar to a pizza, the only difference is that instead of a dough base like a pizza, the pizzadilla has a wheat flour tortilla as a base.Jump to recipe
Pizzadillas are an easy and quicker alternative to pizza. This is because the tortilla is not baked like the dough, you just have to heat it up a little and it is ready. On top you simply add some tomato sauce, melting cheese and any toppings you want to add. We like it with some ham and mushrooms, which can be fresh or canned, as you prefer.
Pizzadillas remind me of my childhood. Our mom liked to make this for us for dinner because it was something very easy to make that didn’t take a lot of time and it was pretty filling. And my brothers and I loved it, because it reminded us of pizza, and there are few things better than pizza in this world.
For this recipe we recommend using good tortillas, because they make all the difference in flavor. And the cheese should be a melting cheese. Our favorite for this is a type of Mexican cheese called chihuahua, although a mozzarella cheese that melts well would work too.
This is the recipe for the pizzadilla that we like, with ham and mushrooms, but you can add more toppings that you like on your pizzas, such as olives, pepperoni, etc.
If you like this recipe you have to check out our no knead pizza recipe, it’s a scrumptious pizza that never fails and best of all: no kneading!
- 4 pieces wheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 C (4 fl oz) (120 ml) tomato sauce
- 5.30 oz (150 gr) Mozzarella cheese, shredded (or other melting cheese)
- 6 slices york type ham
- 6 slices mushrooms (fresh or canned)
- On a clean cutting board, with a sharp knife cut the ham slices into cubes and the mushrooms into slices.
- Take one of the tortillas, add a quarter of the tomato sauce and spread with a spoon.
- Add a quarter of the grated cheese on top and then a quarter of the ham and mushrooms (more ingredients can be added if desired).
- Make the rest of the pizzadillas following the above steps until you have 4 of them.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat without oil, and put one of the pizzadillas on top and cook for about 4 minutes until the cheese melts and the tortilla is slightly browned.
- Cook the rest of the pizzadillas in the same way and enjoy!