A plum cobbler is a dessert made with fresh plums, which are cooked with sugar. It is then topped with a simple cake like crumble, that is very soft and fluffy, to be eaten at the same time. The most iconic way to eat a cobbler is with a little ice cream, of the flavor we like the most.Jump to recipe
Making a cobbler is very easy and fast. It takes no time at all to prepare it and the result is very nice.
The best way to make a plum cobbler is with fresh plums of course. Now, there are many types of plums and they have different colors. They are very dark, almost purple, red, lighter red and even yellow. For this recipe you can use the plums you like the most, and depending on that the color of the result will change.
You can also choose to peel the plums or leave the skin on. In this case, for the pictures, we removed the skin, but you can leave it if you wish to. This also affects the resulting color of the cobbler, because the skin has much of the color of the fruit itself
Something important with a cobbler of any fruit, is that when you put the mixture for the cake on top of the fruit, before putting it in the oven, you must leave spaces without batter. This is because if you cover the fruit completely with the batter, the fruit will not be able to breathe while in the oven, and this could cause small volcanoes to form and explode while cooking. So, you have to leave spaces like that to prevent this from happening.
If you like this recipe, you have to check out our peach cobbler, a cobbler that is even easier to make than this one, because we use canned peached, and they don’t have to be cooked before baking.
For the fruit:
- 24.70 oz (700 gr) fresh plums (about 10 plums)
- 2 apples, Granny Smith type
- 3.50 oz (100 gr) unsalted butter, softened in chunks
- 3.50 oz (100 gr) granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
For the batter:
- 4.90 oz (140 gr) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 3.40 fl oz (100 ml) whole milk
- 9.90 oz (280 gr) all purpouse flour
- 4.90 oz (140 gr) granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Ice cream or clotted cream, for serving
- Peel the plums and apples, remove the pit and cut into pieces (the plums can be left with the skin on). Place the fruits in a pan on the stove over low heat with the rest of the ingredients, butter, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Let it cook until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, and continue cooking until you have a sort of compote.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F (180º C). In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk together. In another large bowl, place the butter and flour, and with the help of two forks start to rub the butter against the flour. The idea is to make a dough that has a "sand like" texture, like breadcrumbs.
- Then add the sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and mix. Pour the milk and egg mixture into this mixture and incorporate to create a thick batter.
- Place the fruit in a round baking pan, and spoon the flour mixture on top, leaving spaces of fruit uncovered, so that the fruit can breathe while in the oven. Bake at 350º F (180º C) for 20 to 30 minutes or until the cobbler is golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes before serving. Eat along with ice cream or clotted cream.