Spanish egg tortilla is a traditional dish in Spain. It is an omelette of sorts, with potato. It can be eaten almost at any time. In fact, it is usually always eaten at lunchtime or for dinner, and almost never for breakfast.Jump to recipe
It is usually eaten with a piece of bread on the side. It can also be eaten as a sandwich, between two pieces of bread with a little olive oil or mayonnaise.
Now, there are many types of tortillas. There are more or less “done” or cooked, because there are people who like them to fall apart inside while cutting into them, or on the other hand, that they do not fall apart at all. Besides this, many people in Spain say that we can divide the population in two: people who prefer the tortilla with onion, and people who prefer it without onion.
To this we must add that tortillas can be served with anything, and that’s where the fun part begins. Among the things that are most commonly added to tortillas are: truffle, cheese, spinach, chistorra sausage, Iberian ham, mushrooms, caramelized onion, etc.
This tortilla recipe is a basic tortilla recipe, well made, with natural potatoes (because there are tortillas that are made with potato chips, which makes them crispier after making the tortilla). To this recipe you can add, then, a lot of things, almost almost anything you can think of, and that is why it is the fun part.
In future recipes we will publish how to make a different types of spanish egg tortillas, and also using other ingredients in it, to have much more variety.
If you like this recipe, then you have to check out our eggs benedict, which is great and looks good every time!
Spanish egg tortilla
- 5 potatoes, big, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 onion, big, cut into small dices
- 1/2 C (4 fl oz) (120 ml) olive oil
- 9 eggs, medium size
- Salt, to taste
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet and preheat over medium-low heat.
- Add the potatoes and onion to the pan and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the potatoes begin to break down a bit.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, place them in a heat-resistant colander to remove any excess oil.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat with a fork for 30 seconds until fluffy. Add the potatoes and onion, season with salt to taste and beat for another 30 seconds until everything is well integrated.
- Place the same skillet over medium heat with a little oil (left over from cooking the potatoes), pour the potato mixture with egg and cook for 5 minutes on that side, giving it a little shape on the edges with a rubber spatula.
- After this, carefully flip the tortilla onto a plate and then put it back in the pan to cook on the other side for another 4-5 minutes or so, depending on how well done you want it. If you want it less done, it should be cooked for less time and vice versa.
- When the tortilla is ready, carefully remove it from the pan and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting it.