Victoria sponge cake is a simple cake that is delicious. It is composed of two layers of cake, a vanilla sponge cake. A sponge cake is a cake that is usually made by separating the yolks and whites of eggs, and beating the whites with sugar to form a meringue, which is then integrated into the rest of the batter.Jump to recipe
Doing this with the meringue makes the final result to be a cake with lots of air bubbles inside, which makes it very fluffy and soft. This is the base of the victoria sponge cake. To this, you add whipped cream and fresh fruits, which can be strawberries or raspberries. With all these things, this cake is light, fresh, and with a smooth, sweet and acid flavor. A very pleasant mix of textures a splendid mix of flavors.
A victoria sponge cake, is normally presented as a “naked cake”, which means that the cake has frosting, but only between layers, and not on the sides, so you see the layers of cake and the layers of the frosting itself and the fruit and jam that is used.
This cake is perfect for a celebration, for a birthday or an important dinner. The combination of all the flavors here tastes and looks great. I love it especially for the warmer months, in spring or summer, because it is fresh. It is best to make it when strawberries are in season, because that is when they taste best.
If you like this recipe, then check out our recipe for Berries meringue cake or mostachon, which you will surely love, it is an Argentinean dessert, with a meringue base, whipped cream and red fruits on top, which is great.
Victoria sponge cake
For the cake:
- 4 eggs, big, separated
- 1 C (7 oz) (200 gr) white granulated sugar
- 3/4 C + 2 tbsp (7 oz) (200 gr) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp (0.17 fl oz) (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C (7 oz) (200 gr) all purpouse flour
- 2 tsp (0.35 oz) (10 gr) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.088 oz) (2.5 gr) salt
- 1 C (8.11 fl oz) (240 ml) whipping cream, really cold
- 1 tbsp confectioners sugar
- 7 oz (200 gr) homemade strawberry or raspberry marmalade
- Fresh strawberries or raspberries, to decorate
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 356º F (180° C). Line a round cake pan of about 9 inches (22 cm) in diameter with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Crack the eggs open and place the egg whites in a large bowl and the yolks in another medium bowl.
- With an electric mixer or hand whisk, beat the egg whites for 1 minute until they begin to form soft peaks. Add half of the sugar and continue beating for 2-3 minutes more until stiff peaks form.
- With the same mixer, beat the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar for 3-4 minutes until a light, slightly thickened mixture forms.
- Continue beating the yolks and in the meantime add little by little, while continuing to beat, the melted butter with the vanilla extract. Beat for 1 more minute until you have a smooth and homogeneous mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the same bowl of egg yolks in three additions, beating for 30 seconds after each addition until everything is well integrated.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the beaten egg whites in three additions, making wrapping motions very carefully so as not to lower the batter.
- Once the mixture is ready, pour it into the cake pan and bake at 356º F (180° C) for 30 minutes until the cake is lightly browned and a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- When the cake is ready, take it out of the oven and let it cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes. Then turn it out and let it cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Place the whipping cream in a medium bowl with the powdered sugar and beat with an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes until stiff peaks form. It is important to beat only to this point and not too much. Once the whipped cream is ready, place it in the refrigerator until needed so it stays cold.
- With a sharp knife, cut the cake in two equal parts to obtain 2 layers. Place one of the sponge cake layers on the plate in which you want to present the cake. Add all the amrmalade on top and spread with a spoon over the entire surface. Then add all the whipped cream and spread until it is on the edges of the cake. You can also decorate using the cream and some fresh strawberries and/or raspberries.
- Place the other layer of sponge cake on top and then decorate with sliced strawberries or raspberries and a little powdered sugar. Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours before serving so that all the flavors are integrated and the cake does not fall apart.