This matcha pound cake is delicious. Matcha is a powdered green tea that has several health benefits. It is an intense green powder, similar to the color of a pistachio. It can be drunk as an infusion or tea, but it is also very tasty to use in all kinds of things, specially baked goods in my opinion.
The intense flavor it has is very tasty and great to use in chocolates, sweets of all kinds, and of course, desserts. In this case we used it to make a pound cake, and it is amazing, because the color is an unparalleled green.
I personally love matcha. It has a flavor that, when it is very concentrated, resembles a little bit the taste of chocolate. It is not the same, but it is very similar I think. Even so, matcha has a very particular flavor that must be tasted to be recognized.
It goes very well in many types of beverages, especially when combined with milk or coffee for example.
This pound cake is everything a pound cake should be, it is moist, soft and fluffy, and of course, green! When it is baked it turns brown on the outside a little bit, but when you cut it, you can see the wonderful green color it has on the inside.
It’s perfect to eat with a cup of coffee or a lightly flavored tea, or my favorite way: with a nice glass of very cold milk.
Ir can be topped with a simple glaze, that’s optional. To make it, just mix a little matcha powder with milk. A little powdered or impalpable sugar can be added to this mixture to make it sweet if desired. Wait for the pound cake to cool down and then pour it on top and that’s it!
If you like this recipe, you have to check out our chocolate chai cupcakes, you will love them!
Matcha pound cake
- 2 C (9.17 oz) (260 gr) all purpouse flour
- 1 tsp (0.18 oz) (5 gr) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.088 oz) (2.5 gr) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (0.088 oz) (2.5 gr) salt
- 2 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 C (7.94 oz) (225 gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 C (7 oz) (200 gr) white sugar
- 2 tsp (0.34 fl oz) (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 356º F (180° C). Line a pound cake pan, a rectangular pan with high walls of about 9.80 x 4.30 inches (25cm x 11cm) with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and matcha powder and stir.
- Place the butter with the sugar in a large bowl and beat with a hand whisk or electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until the mixture lightens and fluffs slightly.
- Add the vanilla extract and then the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition to mix it all well. Beat for 1 more minute until smooth and homogeneous.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, beating after each addition. Beat just until the ingredients are integrated and there are no flour lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake at 356º F (180° C) for approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes until a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Once ready, remove the pound cake from the oven, let it rest for about 10 minutes inside the pan and then carefully turn it out to enjoy!