These peanut butter and jelly bars are very smooth and full of flavor. They are an easy dessert to make, because they don’t really take a lot of ingredients, and the ingredients they do take are simple things.Jump to recipe
Peanut butter is the same as peanut butter (that’s what they call it in Spain). Now, there are many peanut butters. You can use the one you like the most, the only condition is that it must be a smooth one, without lumps and without peanut pieces that are noticeable, because what we want is that it is smooth and that everything is mixed very well.
The mixture of peanut butter and jam is something typical, especially in the United States and America in general. It is a strong mixture that balances very well. The jam is sweet and light, while the peanut butter has a thick, dense texture and a strong, but neutral flavor, neither salty nor sweet.
These bars are a bit soft and crunchy at the same time, with a layer of jam that turns into a kind of caramel in the oven, and a crumble on top that gives them an extra touch of texture that we like a lot.
For this recipe we use the typical strawberry jam, the one you like the most. You can have, or not, pieces of strawberry in the jam. But besides using strawberry flavor, you can use any other flavor. We recommend, for example, using blackberry, raspberry and fig jam, which would look great.
The result is sweet and very filling bars, full of flavor. They are perfect to replenish energy in the middle of the day, and they taste great too!
If you like this recipe, you have to check out our raw vegan chocolate cookie bars.
Peanut butter and jelly bars
- 1/2 C (112 gr) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 C (187 gr) peanut butter, creamy without peanut chunks
- 1/2 C (100 gr) white sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 C (260 gr) all purpouse flour
- 1/4 tsp (1.2 gr) salt
- 3/4 C (250 gr aprox) strawberry jelly (or any other flavor you like)
- Preheat the oven to 356º F (180° C). Grease and place baking paper in a square baking pan of approximately 22 cm wide.
- Add the butter with the peanut butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl and cream with an electric mixer or balloon whisk for 3-4 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add the flour and beat for 1 minute until a smooth dough forms but does not quite come together. This is the consistency you are looking for.
- Place 2/3 of the dough in the pan and flatten with your hands until you have a uniform base. Add the jam on top and spread carefully using a spoon to form a layer that is not too thick.
- Add the rest of the dough (1/3 of the dough) in lumps, sprinkling the pieces of dough with your fingers to form a crumble on top of the jam.
- Bake the bars at 356º F (180° C) for about 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- Once ready, remove the bars from the oven, let them cool in the mold for 10 minutes and then unmold them. Cut into 16 equal pieces and that's it.