These coconut muffins are soft and fluffy, they are very moist and decadent, and have a coconut crumble on top that is crispy and full of flavor. Both parts, the muffin and the crumble on top complement each other wonderfully, and the result is a delicious muffin!Jump to recipe
Coconut is a strong flavored ingredient, which dominates most recipes every time it is used, so it is not a problem to make a dessert with it. Using a small amount of coconut, either in milk, cream or the coconut itself, is enough to give the necessary flavor to these muffins and to several other recipes.
For this recipe we use coconut extract for both the filling and the crumble on top. Using the extract is optional, because you can forgo it and the result is great too. But if you want a more intense flavor, I recommend you to use it, as you will like it a lot.
The crumble on top is made with butter, sugar, coconut extract and coconut, and it is simply spectacular. Once the muffins are ready, the crumble is very crispy and tastes great.
This recipe calls for shredded dried coconut in the batter and also in the crumble, which gives it a lot of texture, and much more interest when we eat these muffins.
If you notice, in the recipe, we use vegetable oil instead of butter for this. This is because we want to get a more airy and light muffin texture, and more moisture in them. And the truth is that it turns out very well! I invite you to try these muffins, whether you love coconut, or just like it, because I guarantee you will enjoy them a lot!
If you like this recipe, you have to go check out our chocolate chip muffins, you’re going to love them!
For the muffins:
- 2 C all purpouse flour
- 3 tsp (0.53 oz) (15 gr) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.088 oz) (2.5 gr) salt
- 1/2 C (1.75 oz) (50 gr) shredded dry coconut
- 3/4 C (17.98 oz) (150 gr) white sugar
- 1 egg, big
- 1/3 C (2.70 fl oz) (80 ml) vegetable oil, soft flavored (corn or sunflower)
- 3/4 C + 1 tbsp (6.80 fl oz) (200 ml) coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut extract
For the topping:
- 1 C (3.52 oz) (100 gr) shredded dry coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 C (3.52 oz) (100 gr) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (1.60 oz) (45 gr) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp (0.17 fl oz) (5 ml) coconut extract
For the topping:
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl. Mix with a fork or using your fingers until you get a sand like mixture with small lumps, just like a crumble. Put in the refrigerator until needed.
For the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 356º F (180° C). Place muffin liners in a 12 large muffin pan. In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Add the coconut and mix using a spoon until everything is integrated.
- In a large different bowl mix the sugar with the egg, vegetable oil, coconut milk and coconut extract. Beat with a hand whisk or an electric mixer for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the flour mixture in two separate additions, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to get a smooth batter.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the 12 muffin cups, filling 3/4 of each one. Add the crumble
- Bake the muffins at 356º F (180° C) for approximately 18-20 minutes or until they are lightly browned and a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Take the muffins out of the oven and let them cool down for at least 10 minutes before eating.