I actually first tasted this sandwich in a local restaurant. I mention it because I don´t want to take credit for this cook´s work (she´s also the owner, and is, i might add, really talented).
As you may already know I love eggs, and after having tasted this sandwich all I could think of was coming up with a way to recreate it myself. It has now become my brother´s favorite breakfast. So here you have the result.
We use an oatmeal bread which is bigger than the normal bread, and each of this sandwiches makes for 2 standard size sandwiches. But in order to make it easier for you, we have arranged this recipe so that it makes 5 standard size sandwiches.
- 1 c fresh mushrooms, sliced
- A bunch of fresh spinach, rinsed clean and teared to pieces.
- 1/2 c chopped white onion
- 5 slices ham, cut out in squares
- vegetable oil
- 200 gr mozzarella type cheese (any other kind that melts easily will do)
- 10 slices bread
- butter and mayonnaise
- 5 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- For the omelette filling pour some oil in a hot pan. Saute onion and ham for about 10 min. Then add in the spinch and mushrooms and keep sauteing for about 1 min. Then set aside.
- Whisk and egg with a milk splash and season to taste with salt an pepper. Pour this mixture over a hot saucepan with some oil making it spread all over the pan to form a circle. After 3 min. flip it so the other side can cook. Place some cheese slices on half the egg and some mushroom filling on top, and fold the other half on top of that, like you would a quesadilla, and let it cook some more time.
- Toast two slices of bread and butter them. Then, to ensemble the sandwich spread some mayonaise on the slices of bread, and place the omelette between them. Repeat this procedure for the rest of the sandwiches.
- I recommend eating this with ranch dressing. You´re welcome!