The story of how we came up with this lasagna will make you laugh. A while ago my sister´s boyfriend started a diet, so he could no longer eat flour. My sister, with just a few options as to where they could go have dinner together, decided she would cook something, and so she came up with the idea of using eggplant slices instead of pasta (i´m telling you she is the genius here). The first version of this recipe included some beef, but then it evolved and turned into this delicacy, and in one of our family´s favorites.
We should also say that it is gluten-free and vegetarian. For all of those wondering.
- 2 medium size eggplants
- A handful of spinach
- 3 medium size carrots
- 2 medium size zucchinis
- 1 clove of garlic
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 C tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Oregano and basil
- Garlic salt
- 150 gr cheese for melting, grated
- Peel the eggplant, finely slice it lenghtwise and submerge in water and salt for about 15 min.
- Chop the carrots and zucchinis in small cubes.
- Wash the spinach and chop it coarsly
- In a hot pan with oil, stir the carrot and zucchini together. Then season them with salt, oregano, basil, and ground garlic.
- Keep on cooking them and after about 8 min. stir in the tomato sauce, and about 8 min. after turn of the fire.
- Then gently stir in the spinach, put all this in a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan used before, add some more oil and cook the eggplant slices about 5 minutes each side.
- Then, in a pie mold place first a layer of eggplant slices, then half of the carrot and zucchini, then some grated cheese and do this all over again, a layer of eggplant then carrot and zucchini and the cheese to top it off.
- Take this to the oven grill so that the cheese melts. About 15 minutes and is ready! Pair it with some toasted bread.