Creme caramel is a dessert made out of eggs, sugar and milk, that cooks in a double boiler, wether is on the stove or inside the oven (the second is better). At the end, you get a gelatin texture, but softer.
In Mexico, the typicall creme caramel is made with condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs and vanilla. Then, you can add basically anything you want depending on what you like; you could make it with dulce de leche, with peach, apple, pumpkin, cream cheese, you choose!. And the best is that you only have to blend all the ingredients, and it´s done.
But so that we don´t get in trouble, our recipe is the most basic and mexican, plus deliciuos!!!
- 1 C granulated sugar, for the caramel
- 2 cans condensed milk
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 2 cans sweet cream
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Place the sugar in the mold (has to be big) where you will make your creme caramel. Take to medium heat on the stove and wait until a liquid caramel forms without it burning. It is really important not to remove nor touch the caramel by any means!! The only thing we can do id take a kitchen glove and tilt the mold to help the caramel move.
- Once the caramel is ready, pour the rest of the ingredients in the blender and blend until well incorporated.
- Pour this mixture into the caramel mold and cover with kitchen foil.
- Place this mold in a rectangular, bigger mold, with water, to bake as a double boiler at 350°F for about 2 hours.
- Once is fully cookes, we must wait for it to cool down and then turn it out, placing it on a sort of deep plate because of the caramel.
- We recommend refrigerate overnight before slicing.