Breakfast burrito, burrito, burrito, for breakfast or even as dinner if you want. What can we say about burritos when we are mexican, if they have been in our life before we could even walk, but, not the burritos you all know. Burritos for us are just a flour tortilla rolled up with something inside in small quantity… our typical burritos, from the north of Mexico are the machaca burritos, either with some vegetable, egg, potatos or beans but usually they have machaca. Now machaca is sun dried beef meat that´s then shredded. They sell it almost everywhere there, homemade or industrial, and it is perfect for breakfast or brunch.Jump to Recipe
Burritos for us in general are pretty basic because we have them for breakfast, not brunch and they can either be machaca burritos as I said before or maybe with just some cheese inside, or eggs, ham, avocado or even just salt. But here we have the recipe for another kind of burrito, the worlwide known for being big and hard to eat without getting a stain on yout clothes.
The word burrito is identified as a word from the Guanajuato state in Mexico that means “rolled up tortilla” with beef or anything else inside. However, nowadays burritos are known as a Tex Mex thing, almost more American than Mexican.
At this point we don´t care where this comes from, because is all mixed, dievrse, and people like different things, that we all add what we feel like to each meal we make. This is the great part of cooking and taking a risk and trying new things out, because when we do that we are also interacting with the culture and traditions of different countries.
This recipe burrito is really easy to make, you just have to have good ingredients and also great flour tortillas, which by the way you have to try our flour tortillas recipe so you can make them at home instead of buying them and you will totally notice the huge difference it makes. So, as I was saying, this burrito is made with 100% homemade tortillas, filled with homemade chili (here our recipe for homemade beef chili) and scrambled eggs. A total delicacy because as good mexicans we have to honour such a typical food that has been with us forever.
Here is our burrito recipe, whether for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner, it is always good.
- 2 C beef chili
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 tomatos
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1.8 oz (50 gr) lettuce mix
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cut the tomatos in small cubes and set aside. Pleheat a pan to medium heat with some oil.
- Add the eggs in a bowl, add a pinhc of salt, the milk and whisk with a fork. Add this mixture to the pan and mix to make scrambled eggs. Once ready, remove from the heat.
- Put the tortillas in a plastic bag and heat them up in the microwave for 2 minutes. You can also heat them on a pan without oil.
- Once hot, fill them with chili, scrambled eggs, lettuce and tomato.
- To make the burritos roll up the tortillas, when your halfway fold the sides inwards and keel rolling until you have rolled the whole tortilla. This way the burrito will be closed and nothing will come out.