Ever since we first made this cake it´s been our oldest brother favorite. Every time he comes visit us, this is part of his welcoming. He would wake up, grab a slice of this cake and a cup of black hot coffee and curl up in the couch.Jump to Recipe
Our oldest brother witnessed our baby steps of baking, but he hasn’t been here for this baking rush that started about 3 or 4 years ago. It’s not that we didn’t bake before, we have always had, but it was about twice a month whereas now we bake at least three times a week. You do the math. So this is one of best cake recipes, we have been doing it for years and we irmporve it everytime.
This is a beautiful recipe, the flavors go great together. The filling is soft and moist, with spices that give it a lot of flavor, and nuts for an extra crunch. And with the sweet and soft cream cheese forsting, this is the ideal combination.
For this recipe, we use pecan nuts as an extra ingredient (besides the carrot and spices), but we sometimes also add canned pineapple chunks, which gives this cake a sweeter taste and moistness. If youi want you can also try this using pineapple, you will for sure love it.
If you like this recipe, you have to try our healthy carrot cake.
For the cake batter:
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 C white sugar
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 C all puspouse flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg ground
- 3 C carrot shredded
- 1 C pecan nuts chopped
For thr frosting:
- 3.2 oz (90 gr) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 13 oz (380 gr) cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 C confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk (optional)
For the cake batter:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180º C).
- In a big bowl, with a hand mixer, beat the eggs, oil, both types of sugar and vanilla together until fully intergrated.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, and mix.
- Add the flour mixture into the eggs mixture, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Now stir in the carrots and nuts using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the mixture into two separate 7.5-10 inches (20-25 cm) diameter cake pans previously greased, and bake for 40 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are ready, take them out of the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
For the frosting and assembling:
- For the frosting, in a big bowl beat the butter and cream cheese together with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Now beat in the sugar, vanilla and milk, and mix again. Refrigerate before using.
- To assemble the cake, put one of the pieces on a big plate and spread a generous aomunt of frosting. Then place the other piece of cake on top and frost with a thin layer which won´t be the last one. Refrigerate the cake for 30 min. to make it easier for us to spread the second and final layer.
- Frost the cake again using a spatula and decorate with some ground cinnamon on top.