Ever since we first made this cake it´s been our oldest brother favorite. Every time he comes visit us, this is part of his welcoming. He would wake up, grab a slice of this cake and a cup of black hot coffee and curl up in the couch.
Our oldest brother witnessed our baby steps of baking, but he hasn´t been here for this baking rush that started about 3 or 4 years ago. It´s not that we didn´t bake before, we have always had, but it was about twice a month whereas now we bake at least three times a week. You do the math.
So this cake is one of the classic recipes in our repertoire. We have been making it for years now, and we have been improving the recipe all along.
Our carrot cake recipe has a how – to video on youtube, click the next link to go watch it: Carrot cake video
For the cake batter:
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 3 C shredded carrot
- 1 C chopped pecan nuts
For the frosting:
- 90 gr (3.2 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 380 gr (13 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 C confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk (optional)
For the cake batter:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a big bowl, with a hand mixer, beat the eggs, oil, both types of sugar and vanilla together until fully intergrated.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, and mix.
- Add the flour mixture into the eggs mixture, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Now stir in the carrots and nuts using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the mixture into two separate 7.5-10 inches (20-25 cm) diameter cake pans previously greased, and bake for 40 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are ready, take them out of the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
For the frosting and assembling:
- For the frosting, in a big bowl beat the butter and cream cheese together with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Now beat in the sugar, vanilla and milk, and mix again. Refrigerate before using.
- To assemble the cake, put one of the pieces on a big plate and spread a generous aomunt of frosting. Then place the other piece of cake on top and frost with a thin layer which won´t be the last one. Refrigerate the cake for 30 min. to make it easier for us to spread the second and final layer.
- Frost the cake again using a spatula and decorate with some ground cinnamon on top.