Anyone that knows me well enough knows i have a love affair with donuts. I like a lot of different desserts, but there´s something really comforting about the simplicity of the bread and the glaze together.
We tried a lot of recipes and ended up coming up with a combination of all of those. For those of you looking for a healthier option or if you don´t want to eat fried food, i´m sorry, i mean, there are recipes of baked donuts, YES, but the truth is that that is just donut shaped cake, not a donut; Donuts, for me to call them that have to be deep fried, otherwise the consistency is not the same. And i son´t see the problem with eating things like this, once in a while and indulgence of this sort is totally okay.
-For the dough:
- 1/2 C lukewarm milk
- 1/3 C sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 3 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 C all purose flour
- 1/2 C tangzhong (to make it, combine 1/3 C flour and 1 C water in a medium heat pan and cook until the mixture thickens)
-For the glaze:
- Vegetable oil
- 2 C confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a big bowl, mix the milk with the sugar and yeast. Let it sit for 20 min.
- Then add in the butter, the salt, the egg and the 1/2 C of tanzhong already cooled and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the flour and salt and start kneading until it´s all incorporated.
- Place the dough on the work surface and keep kneading for about 15 min. until you get a soft elastic dough. (this whole kneading process can also be done in a standing mixer with the kneading hook attached)
- Form a ball with this dough, spread some oil on it and place it in a bowl which we will cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel.
- Now let it rest for 1 hour or until it doubles its size.
- Pinch the dough and let it rest again, this time for 30 min.
- On the working surface, roll out the dough until it is 1/2 inch thick and cut it out with a donut shape cutter (you can knead and roll out again the leftover dough but the resulting donuts won´t have the same consistency).
- Place the donuts (the small bits of the holes can also be used) on a previously greased baking sheet and cover them with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let them rise 1 more hour.
- In a medium size pot heat enough oil. Once the temperature is right deel fry them until they turn golden brown.
- Once they are done, place them on a plate with some absorbing paper underneath.
- For the glaze, mix all the ingredients, and once the donuts are cool glaze them. And you´re done!