This matcha ice cream is so good. Matcha is a flavor I personally love, because to me, it sort of has a similar taste to chocolate. Plus, this ice cream is really fun because is green colored.Jump to Recipe
I’ve always been the type of person that eats about everything, I´m really healthy until a certain extent, when curiosity beats healthy. If there´s an opportunity to try something new or weird, I’ll always want to. Everytime I stumble upon a weird recipe, with not at all common combinations, I make it (even when most of the time these are complete failures, sometimes something wonderful comes from it). My sister always laughs at me, and I guess she doesn’t enjoy that much the odd flavors I like, what can I say, out of the two of us I’ve always been a little different when it comes to that, but we balance each other out perfectly.
Recently, A really good friend of ours taught us how to do basil and also matcha ice cream, she says her second favorite is basil ice cream, and the all time favorite is this one, matcha ice cream.
Turns out matcha tea is just ground powder of green tea leaves (the same green tea we all know). The fact that it is grounded, makes a lot more concentrated, gives it an intense flavor, which to me tastes a little liche chocolate, and gives it that distinctive green color. According to the records, green tea first apparition was in japan in the year of 1191 dc, when a buddhist monk took it there. Historywise there´s not much we can really clarify, what scientists do know is that a cup of matcha tea has as many antiosidants as 10 cups of brewed green tea, who knew. It´s also said to calm and relax, disintoxicate your body, make us burn calories faster, etc. So as you can see it has a long list of benefits. But regardless, we invite you to try it, because afterall it just tastes great!
A little tip before we start. There are a lot of varieties of matcha powder. Make sure you buy one that´s only pure matcha, beware of some matcha powders that have milk powder, sugars, and artificial preservatives and food coloring because these make the matcha flavor really weak and not noticeable at all.
If you like this recipe, you have to go check out our recipe to make basil ice cream.
Matcha ice cream
- 2 C whole milk
- 4 tsp ground matcha powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 C half and half cream
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 1/4 C condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a small pot, heat the milk to low temperature without bringing it to a boil. In a small bowl place the egg yolks and whisk in a little of the hot milk. Mix really well and then incorporate the temper egg yolks to the pot with the milk. Cook for about 3 to 4 min. stiring all the time for the mixture to thicken a little. Turn off the heat and let it cool completely.
- Pour the half and half, granulated sugar, condensed milk, salt, matcha powder and the previous milk mixture, already cooled down, into the blender, and blend until all ingredients are completely integrated.
- Pour this into a tall pan or an ice cream pan, cover it and put it in the freezer overnight for it to get firm.
- Once firm you can eat it however pleases you.