Our classic hot cakes are a tradition now in our family and family members love them. We make these whenever we have someone visit us for the weekend, when we make brunch, and then usually make some other things to eat as well. We make machaca (which is type of dry meat typicall of the north of Mexico), scrambled eggs (or fried), fried corn tamales, sausages, fruit, yogurt, and many other things.
Here in Mexico hot cakes are really common for breakfast or brunch, along with fried eggs and bacon. We love having them for sunday´s breakfast, whe we have the time to make them without hurries.
To me, best way to eat them is with just some butter and maple syrup. But you can use whatever you want as a topping, like honey, agave syrup, jam, dulce de leche, peanut butter, almond butter, nutella, cream cheese or even requeson or cottage cheese, that for sure tastes amazing.
Our story with hot cakes goes way back. When we were kids our mom used to make us hot cakes all the time, using our grandma’s recipe, so much so that her hot cakes are famous in our family. Now, this isn’t my grandma’s recipe, that one we might share later on, this is the recipe my sister and I make all the time. Our grandma’s hot cakes are thinner and call for no eggs. Now that I think about it they look more liake crepes.
There are many different hot cake recipes, and this is our favorite, because they are just the best. They are fluffy, soft, and taste so good just like that, and when adding toppings like nutella, jam, cream cheese, etc they taste even better. Though they taste the best with maple syrup if you ask me.
If you like hot cakes or pancakes, then you have to go see our healthy banana pancakes, which you will for sure love.
Classic hot cakes
- 1 2/3 C all purpouse flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 1/3 C unsalted butter melted + some more for cooking
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and sugar and set aside.
- Using two bowls, separate the eggs, placing the egg whites in one of them and the yolks in the other. Set aside the egg whites bowl.
- Add in the milk, butter and vanilla to the egg yolks and stir using a rubber spatula, and set aside.
- Stir in the flour mixture, little by little and keep stiring from the outside in after each addition until it is all well incorporated.
- Add the salt to the egg whites and beat using a mixer for about 5 minutes to medium speed, or until the egg whites turn fluffy and white.
- Now, incorporate a third of the egg whites to the mixture and then mix in the rest.
- Place a pan on the stove to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Cook the hot cakes on the pan with butter.