This strawberry and peach galette is the ultimate summer dessert or treat. It is sweet and crispy, with the sliced almonds on top. Eating this with some vanilla ice cream on the side is just ideal. Specially while the galette is still hot, straight out of the oven, to have that contrast of temperatures with the ice cream.Jump to Recipe
People would always tell me summers in Madrid were hot, but the thing is the cuty I grew up in, in Mexico, is really hot and humid, so I never really trusted them. Now, while being here for summer I am starting to get it. Though I will say it is not as bad, at least for now.
With the summer heat upon us all I feel like actually baking is something like this fresh, fruity and colorful galette.
this galette is crispy on the outside, the dough is golden brown and shiny, while soft on the inside. The filling is fresh, sweet yet acid at the same time.
This is the perfect sunday lunch dessert, with family and friends gathered. Plus it looks so good, galettes by themselves are just pretty. It’s a good option for almost any occasion and everybody loves it.
What I do recommend is eating the galette the same day you bake it, otherwise the crust beneath will start to turn soggy because of the strawberry and peach. So it is way better the same day or the next, when it is crispy and fresh.
If you like this recipe, you have to go see our peach cobbler, a summery, fresh and sweet recipe, perfect to eat along with a vanilla ice cream scoop.
Strawberry and peach galette
For the dough:
- 1 1/4 C all purpouse flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3.2 oz (90gr) butter cold and in cubes
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening cold and in cubes
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
For the filling:
- 2 peaches sliced
- 1 C fresh strawberries sliced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp almond slices
For the dough:
- In a food processor place the flour, sugar and salt and process until combined. You can also do this by mixing with a fork or a dough blending tool.
- Add in the butter and vegetable shortening and process until you get sand-like consistency (which you can also do using a fork, a dough blending tool or using the tips of your fingers).
- After add in the cold water and the white vinegar and process (or combine with your hands) until a soft dough forms. Wrap this dough in plastic kitchen wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 min.
For the filling:
- Place all the strawberries, peaches, honey, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a bowl, and mix until all the fruit slices are coated with the rest of the ingredients, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (180°C).
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out on a clean floured surface to make a circle of about 15 inches (40 cm) in diameter.
- Place the rolled oats in the middle of the dough circle. Then put the fruit on top of that, leaving the edge of the dough free.
- Fold the edges of the circle inwards.
- Beat the egg and brush this beaten egg on the dough, and sprinkle both the sugar and the almond slices on top and bake at 375°F (180°C) for 25 min aprox.