These chocolate oreo muffins are so good! specially ir you are a chocolate lover, like many of us are. These are chocolate muffins, with chocolate chunks, pieces or oreo cookies and a layer or cream cheese filling in the middle. There is nothing better than this.Jump to Recipe
Plus, these are really, rally soft, so much so that they almost sort of melt while in your hands or in your mouth. Now, we all know and love oreo cookies. Up until now I know nobody who doesn’t like them, because they are so good!
The result of this whole combination are muffins that look and feel rustic and are really delicious. And they are also not difficult to make, they are even quite fun to make actually. This is a good recipe to make with somebody you want to hang out with, or with children for example.
We add a layer or cream cheese in the middle, that simulates a cheesecake. This layer is totally optional, but the truth is that it adds an extra flavor that compensates beautifully the chocolate, so it isn’t overpowering.
For this recipe we use chocolate, and oreo cookies too. For this you can use chocolate chips, but you could also use a chocolate bar cut into chunks or smaller pieces. Just make sure you use a high quality chocolate bar, so it can withstand the oven’s temperature and baking.
If you like this recipe, you have to go see our chocolate pound cake. It is so soft and fluffy!
Chocolate oreo muffins with cream cheese filling
For the muffins:
- 1 2/3 C (7.60 oz) (216 gr) all purpouse flour
- 3/4 C (2.20 oz) (63 gr) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (0.35 oz) (10 gr) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.08 oz) (2.5 gr) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (0.08 oz) (2.5 gr) salt
- 1 C (7.05 oz) (200 gr) granulated white sugar
- 1/2 C (3.50 oz) (100 gr) brown sugar
- 1/2 C (3.95 oz) (112 gr) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, large
- 2 tsp (0.33 fl oz) (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 C (4.23 oz) (120 gr) greek yogurt
- 1/2 C (4 fl oz) (120 ml) milk
- 1/2 C (4 fl oz) (120 ml) hot coffee
- 20 oreo cookies in chunks
- 1 C (6 oz) (170 gr) semisweet chocolate chips
For the cream cheese filling:
- 1 C (7.93 oz) (225 gr) cream cheese
- 1/3 C (2.32 oz) (66 gr) granulated white sugar
- 1 egg medium size
- 1 tsp (0.17 fl oz) (5 ml) vanilla extract
For the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 392º F (200º C). Line the cupcake pan with cupcake 12 liners.
- In a big bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add int the two types of sugar and combine with a spoon.
- In a different bowl, using a hand whisk, whisk the melted butter with the eggs, vanilla extractm yogurt and milk. Beat for 1 minutes until it is all well integrated.
- Add in the egg mixture to the flour bowl and beat with a hand whisk for 2 minutes until it is all combined and smooth. Add in the hot coffee and continue beating.
- Lastly, mix in half of the oreo cookies in chunks and half of the chocolate chinks or chips and combine only until integrated.
For the cream cheese filling and baking:
- In a medium size bowl, using a hand whisk, cream together the cream cheese and sugar for one minute.
- Add in the egg along with the vanilla extract and mix for one minute until you get a smooth and soft mixture.
- Fill the cupcake pan only up to about 1/4 of their capacity. Then pour and portion the cream cheese mixture among the cupcakes and fill them with the rest of the muffins batter until they end up filled up to about 2/3 of their capacity.
- Add the rest of the oreo cookie chunks and chocolate on tio of each muffin and bake at 392º F (200º C) for 5 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 375º F (180° C) and keep on baking them for about 12 to 15 minutes until a wooden stick comes out clean when inserted.
- Once the muffins are ready, let them cool down on a cooling rack and keep them stored in a container with a lid, either at room temperature ot in the fridge.