Strawberries and cream, or is it cream with strawberries. It actually all depends on if you like having more strawberries than cream, or more cream than actual strawberries, the ratio is totally up to you, as it should be.Jump to Recipe
Strawberries and cream are a classic mexican dessert that is made and eaten mostly in summer, because it is when we have the most strawberries, but sometimes people also make them using frozen strawberries, and it actually tastes really good too, I might add.
There is nothing easier than making strawberries and cream, beacuse you quite literally just mix some cream and sugar (or condensed milk, which is really sweet) and then pair it with some strawberries. Of course, strawberries should be fresh, and in season, so they taste amazing and are sweet and ripe.
The cream used to make strawberries and cream, at least in Mexico, is the one called “media crema” (or half cream, translated) wich is a bit sweeter than the normal cream we all know. But in reality, when making this recipe, you could use whipping cream, sour cream, regular cream, yogurt for an acid touch, or a mixture in different proportions of all of the above.
This is one of those recipes that have several variations, pretty much each family has its own recipe actually. Some prefer using frozen strawberries, some condensed milk, or just plain yogurt with some sort of sweeneter. The main thing here is to have some type of dairy with sweetener.
This is an easy dessert that is really simple as well. To change it up a bit, you could try using some other types of fruits to make it, just make sure to use fruits that are acid while still sweet, like berries, canned peaches or kiwi, for example, since they all taste great when paired with dairy.
If you like this recipe, you have to go check out our strawberry mini pavlovas, they are so cute, delicious and decadent.
Strawberries and cream
- 31.70 oz (900 gr) strawberries, without the stem
- 2 cans (15.20 fl oz) (450 ml) heavy cream
- 1/3 C (2.170 fl oz) (80 ml) condensed milk
- 2 tsp (33 fl oz) (10 ml) vanilla extract
- Rinse the strawberries, dry them with kitchen towels and cut them into 0.60 inches (1.5 cm) pieces, if they are really big, cut them into slices.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the cream, condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix well using a spoon and check the level of sweetness.
- Divide the strawberries into 6 separate small glasses or individual small bowls and pour the cream mixture on top. Decorate as you please and enjoy.