We love this pumpkin and cream cheese pie. There is something really beautiful about fall. After the heat of the summer and all the activities, fall is chill and somewhat nostalgic. It makes you start thinking of christmas, new year’s eve, etc. Fall brings along some great ingredients. Every season has its typicall vegetables, fruits, spices and flavors.Jump to Recipe
When I think of fall, I think of cinnamon, pumpkin, whipped cream, nutmeg, coffee, apples, ginger, cloves, brown sugar, maple syrup, sweet potatoes, nuts and cream cheese. I also think of all sorts of hot beverages that touch your soul.
So when it is fall I feel like making recipes using all these inrgedients, or a combination of them. Personally, is the perfect season to make a classic pumpkin pie, a chocolate pie, or a pecan pie, these are the traditional thanksgiving pie recipes, they are all really good. This recipe is also great, it is a twist on the classic pumpkin pie recipe made also using cream cheese. You can choose your favorite.
There is nothign better than eating a piece of this pie with some coffee, or a chai latte (to those who don’t really like coffee, like me) on the afternoon in a rainy day in the middle of fall.
I like serving this pie with some whipped cream and ground cinnamon on top, or if you prefer it, you can also serve it with a vanilla ice cream scoop.
To make this recipe, we use the typicall pumpkin. We use natural pumpkin. We cook it in boiling water and mash it to make natural sugarfree pumpkin puree. You can find canned pumpkin puree in a lot of places, and it can be used in many different ways, so if you can get it like this already canned and ready to use, you can skip this step of cooking the pumpkin, everything will be faster and easier.
If you like this recipe, then you have to see our classic pumpkin pie recipe.
Pumpkin and cream cheese pie
For the dough:
- 1/2 C + 2 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 C + 2 tsbp confectioners sugar sifted
- 1 hard boiled egg yolk shredded
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cake type flour sifted
- 1 pinch salt
For the filling:
- 1 pack (8 oz) (226 gr) cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 C brown sugar packed
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 C pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp ginger ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 pinch nutmeg ground
- 2 tbsp rum
For the dough:
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together until smooth.
- Push the hard-boiled egg yolk through a sieve and stir the raw egg yolk and vanilla into it. Add this to the butter mixture and stir until blended.
- Add the flour and salt to the butter mixture and stir until blended.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and chill until firm, about 30 min.
- Roll out the dough into a circle that is just under ¼-inch thick and line a tart pan with the pastry, trimming away excess dough.
- Cut off a large square of parchment paper and use it to line the tart. Pour enough rice onto the parchment paper, and bake at 360° F for 15 min. Cool before filling.
For the filling:
- Combine the cream cheese and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and pumpkin puree and mix.
- Incorporate cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and rum and beat until smooth.
- Pour this filling into the cooled tart shell and return to the oven to bake for about 20 min, until the filling has set around the edges.
- Cool that tart to room temperature before chilling until set.