This cupcakes are a classic american. They do really taste like red velvet.
We do not like the idea of adding artificial ingredients such as flavorings or colorants to our recipes, which is in fact one of the reasons we enjoy cooking, because this is the way we are certain of what we are really eating and giving our bodies. Now this cupcakes are famous for being red, and this might actually be the only recipe in which we don´t mind that much using colorants, only so that we trick our mind somehow into thinking the color red has something to do with the flavor. You can use it or not, either way they taste great!
These cupcakes are heaven; personally my favorites. This is all I have to say, which is already quite a lot.
For the cupcakes batter:
- 2 1/2 C all purpouse flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 C (6oz) (170 gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Red coloring, in gel (needed amount) without exceeding, because it makes the cupcakes bitter
- 1 C buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 C instant coffee
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the cream cheese frotsing:
- 380 gr (13oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 90 gr (3oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 C confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp whole milk
For the cupcakes batter:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and fill the cupcake pan with liners.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt and cocoa and set aside. In a different bowl mix the buttermilk and sour cream and set aside.
- In a big bowl cream together, using the mixer, the butter and add little by little the oil and sugar. Beat until the mixture lightens and turns fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, beating after each addition, and then add the vanilla and the colorant using a clean toothpick.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk, begining and finishing with the flour.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar and the baking soda and add it to the main batter fast.
- Perfectly beat until the batter is soft, and then pour it in the cupcake liners 3/4 full each.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 25 min. or until a wooden stick comes out clean when inserted (it is important however not to open the oven in the first 20 min, of baking).
- Let the cupcakes cool down completely before decorating.
For the cream cheese frosting:
- In a big bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes until you get a soft consistency.
- Beat in, little by little the confectioners sugar, previously sifted, and beat for 3 more minutes until the mixture turns fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla, salt and milk and mix until it is all well incorporated.
- Place the frosting in a pastry pipping bag with a star tip and decorate the cupcakes the way you prefer.