This potato salad with pickles, as many other of our recipes, was taught to us by our brother and his wife. According to them this is a very German salad and typical in holidays because it is easy to make and delicious to feed a lot of people.
It is generally eaten with the typical german sausage, Bratwurst, which is made of beef and is red, or the pork one, which is white. I have to say I am not really a fan of sausages, mainly because I don´t think they are that good for our bodies, but whenever I got to Germany I eat one at least, it is just something I have to do while being there, specially if my dad´s there too, because he really likes them.Jump to Recipe
There are two important secrets when it comes to making the ultimate potato salad with pickles: the first is to make it with potatos that are special for making salads or for frying since they don´t fall apart as easily once cookes and this way you get bigger chunks of potato and not mashed potato; the second (and most important) is making it a day before you plan on eating it, that way the flavors come together and it tastes amazing. One other thing is the original recipe calls for raw onion, but we like to cook it and that way the flavor isn´t as strong but rather sweet.
Pickles are something to talk about in this recipe, because they are key here. I do know is weird, in fact I used to not care for them when I was a child, then I gave them another chance here in Spain and I now really like them. This, I think, has an explanation. In Mexico there aren´t good pickles and they are usually only used in hamburguers to give some stronger flavor; in Europe, on the contrary, there are good or “good enough” pickles everywhere and are eaten even just like that on their own. I, personally, went from basically hating them to eating them on their own because I feel like it, that´s how different they really are here.
This recipe is great for when you have a lot of people to feed and little time, since it can be done even two days before and keep in the fridge until you need it, in fact, it will taste better after those two days. The best thing is it requires just a few cheap, basic and easy to get ingredients, so let´s make this potato salad with pickles.
You have to also try our pumpkin cream.
Potato salad with pickles
- 7 potatos medium size, for salad of for frying
- 6.70 oz (190 gr) pickles already drained
- 1 onion
- 1/2 C (4 oz) (115 gr) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (1.13 oz) (32 gr) mustard
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil needed amount
- Peel and cut the potatos in medium sized pieces (to be able to easily eat). Place them in a pot with water (they have to be submerged) and cook over low medium heat until completely cooked, for about 15 minutes.
- Place a pan over medium heat with some oil. Chop the onion in small cubes and put it on the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until it is trnsparent and a little golden. Once ready, take off the heat.
- Drain the pickles and cut them into slices. Once the potatos are totally cooked, drain them and let them cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Put the potatos in a big bowl along with the onion, pickles, mayonnaise and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and mix until it all integrates, but careful to not overmix so the potatos stay in one piece.
- Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes or even better overnight to have the flavors better.