Strawberries on their own are a delicacy. Strawberries and cream it´s a whole other level. But if we are talking about a strawberries and cream cake then I just go crazy altogether.Jump to Recipe
Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits because of their fresh and acid. I like them because they go great with many recipes both sweet and savory, since it adapts to most flavors.
Strawberries and cream cake is just ideal for summer because it is fresh and light. It´s made out of layers of a fluffy vanilla cale, freash strawberries and cream. You could also do this by using strawberry jam or marmalade instead of the strawberries, but I prefer it with fresh strawberries. You, on the other hand, can do what you like best. Also, the cream we use here acn be either a simple shipped cream or a more elaborated cream.
I remember when I was little there was a place around the corner where they used to sell strawberries and cream. Our father would usually take us there once or twice a week and we loved it. Our dad would go in and ask for cream and strawberries instead of the other way around because he really liked the cream. People would just laugh and they would give him some extra cream.
Strawberries and cream cake is such a classic everywhere, and there are tons of recipes to make it. Each recipe has some differences, and you can use the one that suits you the most. To me, a good strawberries and cream cake has to have lots of strawberries because they balance out the acke and the cream.
This cake, just like with the strawberries, could easily be donde with some other acid fruit instead. My recommendations are using mango, cranberries, peaches or kiwi. I have even made this with a mix of fruits and it tastes amazing.
If you like this recipe, you have to see our peach cobbler.
Strawberries and cream cake
For the cake:
- 3 C (13.75 oz) (390 gr) all purpouse flour
- 1 tsp (0.25 oz) (7 gr) salt
- 2 1/2 tsp (6.17 oz) (17.5 gr) baking powder
- 3/4 C (5.99 oz) (170 gr) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 C (2 fl oz) (60 ml) vegetable oil soft flavored
- 2 C (14.10 oz) (400 gr) granulated white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp (0.15 fl oz) (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 C (10.80 fl oz) (320 ml) buttermilk
For the strawberries:
- 4 1/2 C fresh strawberries
- 1/3 C (2.32 oz) (66 gr) granulated white sugar
- 1/3 C (2.70 fl oz) (80 ml) water
For the whipped cream:
- 2 1/2 C (20.28 fl oz) (600 ml) whipping cream cold
- 1/3 C (1.41 oz) (40 gr) confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp (0.33 fl zo) (10 ml) vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375º F (180º C). Grease and line two circular cake pans of about 9 inches (23 cm) with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a big bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter, oil and sugar for 3 minutes until the mixture lightens in color and turns fluffier.
- Add in the vanilla extract and beat until fully integrated. Mix in the eggs one by one, beating 30 secodns after each addition.
- Add in the flour mixture in three separate additions alternating with the buttermilk, beating after each addition. Beat for 1 more minute until you get a soft and smooth batter.
- Divide the batter in two, pouring each half into each of the cake pans and bake at 375º F (180º C) for about 30 to 35 until a wooden stick comes out celan when inserted.
- Once ready, let the cakes sit for 10 minutes to cool down, then turn them out and put them on a cooling rack to cool down completely.
For the strawberries:
- Rinse and slice the strawberries not too thin nor too thick.
- To make the syrup that will go with them, put a small pot on the stove over medium heat and pu the sugar and water in it. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until the sugar dissolves and a light syrup forms.
For the whipping cream:
- The whipping cream has to be really cold. You can put it in the freezer for 15 minutes prior for it to be as cold as needed.
- Once cold, place the cream in a medium size bowl along with the confectioners sugar, vanilla extracr and beat with an electric mixer for 3 to 4 minutes until soft peaks form. It is important to beat just up until this point and not to overmix.
- Once the whipped cream is ready, place it in the fridge until you need it.
To assenble the cake:
- Cut both cakes in halves to get 4 layers of cake.
- Place on of the cake payers on the plate or cake stand you wil be presenting the cake. Add about 1/4 of the whipped cream on top, spreading it, then add 1 cup of the strawberries, placing them as you desire and then 1/4 of the syrup to moisten it all a little.
- Repeat this process with the remaining layers of cake. At the end, decorate with the last 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries for it to look pretty and then brush with the last of the syrup to make them shine.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving for all the flavors to come together.