I will start by saying that I absolutely love hot chocolate with all my heart. Now, I know there are a lot of different types of hot chocolate and that each country makes it differently, but I do love the way we make it in Mexico. It is not as thick and it has a cinnamon touch to it. Another one I love is the classic “hot cocoa”, which is usually paired with some whipped cream and marshmallows on top.Ir a la receta
To me, hot chocolate means the beggining of a season of the year I love: Winter and christmas. Once fall starts I love making myself tea or hot chocolate all the time.
Now, I usually reserve hot chocolate for special moments because it is much stronger than tea, so when I drink hot chocolate it usually while watching a christmas movie or when decorating the christmas tree. The last several years, while living with my sister, we usually drink a cup of hot chocolate while building a gingerbread house, which, by the way, is a great way to hang out with the people you love this month.
I think hot chocolate, at least in most countries in America, is a comforting and cozy beverage we drink while with our family or friends, enjoying good moments together. Specially since december is the month we all usually gather.
The strangest hot chocolate I’ve had, I had in Argentina, in a small city called El Calafate, where they served me a cup filled with hot milk and a small piece of chocolate on the side, for me to put in the milk and mix with a spoon. They also gave me a small butter cookie to eat while drinking this hot chocolate. It was a great hot chocolate, I even ended up ordering another cup.
This hot chocolate recipe we bring here today is the recipe we like making, from scratch. This time we didn’t use powder cinnamon, even if we normally do, since we wanted it to just taste like chocolate.
If you like this recipe, you have to go see our berries and banana smoothie.
- 4 C (32.50 fl oz) (960 ml) whole milk
- 1/4 C (0.75 oz) (21 gr) cocoa powder , sugarfree
- 3 tbsp (1.60 oz) (45 gr) granulated white sugar
- 1/4 tsp (0.06 oz) (1.7 gr) salt
- 1/2 C (2.99 oz) (85 gr) semisweet chocolate chips
- white small marshmallows (optional)
- In a pot on the stove over medium heat, add all the ingredients but the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stiring with a wooden spoon, until it all starts integrating and the mixture starts to get hot.
- Add in the chocolate chips, cook for 3 more minutes until they melt and you get a smooth mixture.
- Serve the hot chocolate straight away with some whipped cream and / or marshmallows.