Grilled cheese sandwich is one of those things we all love. It’s a simple recipe that tastes amazing every single time. It doesn’t matter if you are a child or a fully grown adult, we all love it. If you don’t like cheese, the this is not the recipe for you, as the main and star ingredient is cheese, in all its glory.Jump to Recipe
It is, seemingly, a simple recipe. Two slices of bread and loads of cheese. The thing is, you do have to make it lovingly to have it come out tasting great. You have to use good quality ingredients, because each will come through when eating the sandwich.
Now, as for the cheeses to use in a grilled cheese sandwich, we all have different preferences. We like using manchego and cheddar cheese, and we love it. Now, some people like using other types of cheeses, like gruyere, for example. The key thing here is that, whatever cheese you use, the cheese should melt easily. That’s the whole point of a grilled cheese sandwich.
As for the bread, there is no debate here, brioche bread is the best for a grilled cheese. We really like its softness and mild sweetness, and how it tastes combined with the cheese. You can use a different type of bread, but we seriously recommend using brioche bread.
The butter while toasting and cooking the sandwich gives it all a great flavor, it works wonders.
Grilled cheese sandwich
- 4 slices brioche or sourdough type bread
- 1 C cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 C manchego cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Spread 1/2 tbsp of mayonnaise onto each slice of bread, on one side.
- Put both cheeses onto two of the bread slices and then put the other bread slices on top of that to form the sandwiches.
- Put a pan on the stove over medium heat with half of the butter and cook both sandwiches for 2 minutes.
- Turn the sandwiches around, add the rest of the butter and cook for 2 minutes until they are golden brown. Take the sandwiches off the heat and they are ready!