Sweet potato fries: made just as the typical french fries, but in this recipe, we make them in the oven.
Saturday afternoon, you have some free time and you feel like treating yourself by eating something yummy, something that reminds you of “fast food”, though this recipe isn´t fast at all, you´ll see. This is the perfect moment to make these sweet potato fries in the oven which taste as if they were fried, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. We give you here the key point to make the best sweet potato fries.Jump to Recipe
Sweet potato is a typical fall thing that we love. I remember when I was a child and my dad used to buy sweet potato from a guy that sold it on the street; He sold sweet potato and banana both roasted, he would go around with a small trolley with a distinctive song playing. My dad always asked for banana which was served with some consensed milk on top but sometimes he had already ran out of banana so my dad would buy sweet potato, and I would eat some too.
This sweet potato trolley is typical in a lot of cities in Mexico but I think it isn´t as common anymore. This is why I really like sweet potato either savory or sweet.
This sweet potato fries recipe is easy to make but requires time and patience for the fries to turn out crunchy and delicious. Here you have some tips to make them turn out great:
- Cut the sweet potato in same size pieces. Whether you make them in sticks or juliana style try to make them about the same size, even if it seems imposible.
- Let the sweet poatatos rest in cold water. Once cut into sticks, place them in a bowl, cover them completely with cold water for at least 30 minutes or overnight. This will help get rid of the starch and make them turn out crunchier when baked.
- Add some corn starch. Yes, this is one of the most important steps. the idea is to mix the corn starch with the spices (but the salt) and cover the sweet potato sticks with the mixture so they are all well coated.
- Salt at the end. Add the salt at the end of it all, once they are baked, to avoid them turning saggy or soft.
- Use parchment paper. This will keep the sweet potato fries from sticking to the baking sheet and that way they will be crispier.
- Give them enough space. This is very important, you have to place the sticks with space between each other and most importantly do not stack them.
- Bake at a high temperature. This will help them look prettier and crispier.
- Take time to turn them over while cooking. When the sweet potato fries have been cooking for 15 minutes take the time to flip them over using a spatula or fork so they can cook on the other side too.
- Now, the salt. Once totally cooked, take them out of the oven, add the salt and wait for 5 minutes for them to get crunchier.
- Eat them right away. Don´t wait any longer and enjoy them before they get soggy and soft.
If you like these kind of snacks, go check out our boneless buffalo recipe!
- 1,10 lbs (500 gr) sweet potato peeled
- 3 tbsp (1,50 fl oz) (45 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 C (1,30 oz) (37 gr) corn starch
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano dry
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ground
- Salt to taste
Chop the sweet potato into long sticks of about the same size, about 0,20 inches (0,5 cm) thick.
Put the sticks in a big bowl, cover with cold water and let them sit for 30 minutes at least or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 419ºF (215º C). Line a big baking sheet of about 16 x 11 inches (40 x 28 cm).
Take the sweet potato sticks out of the water and place them on top of a clean kitchen towel to absorb moisture. Place them in the bowl again, without water, add the oil and mix so they are all well coated.
Add the corn starch along with the rest of the spices but the salt, and mix again to the aticks are all coated.
Place the sweet potato sticks on the baking sheet, somewhat separated from each other and without stacking them so they cook thoroughly.
Bake for at least 15 minutes, once this time has passed, take the baking sheet out and turn the swwt potato sticks quickly using a fork so they can cook on the other side. Put the baking sheet back in the oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the sticks are crunchy.
Once ready, take the sweet potatos out and season them with salt to taste. Wait for at least 5 minutes so they get crunchier and enjoy before they turn soft and bland.