Sesame chicken is a total delicacy. It is a dish that we all relate to asian food but in reality this recipe is now really mixed and it is somewhat now more americanized, as many other things.Jump to Recipe
Sesame chicken is one of those things I usually crave on sunday´s afternoons, when I feel like eating something yummy and filling. Generally, sesame chicken is eaten along with rice noodles or fried rice and both actually go great with it. The only thing is that this chicken recipe is somewhat bittersweet so it is better to eat it with something that´s a bit more savory, or not as sweet.
Before I go on there is something to note here: this sesame chicken is fried, YES. Trust me that I have tried making it just like that on the pan but they just do not turn out the same, because they have to be deep fried, meaning they have to be surrounded and submerged in the oil. Since it is fried, this chicken is coated by a mixture of flour and egg so it is something to eat once in a while. I say this because a lot of us do not really enjoy eating fried things and much less making them at home because they can be really messy, but sesame chicken is one of those things that it is really worth it and has to be made just like the recipe states it.
Sesame chicken does not actually call for a lot of sesame, it simply calls for sesame oil and then some sesame seeds on top to decorate and give and extra crunch even if it is a little. Plus, the green onion goes greatly with it.
The only thing that takes a while to do is frying the chicken since the rest is done pretty quickly. It just takes a bit of time, but it is not difficult at all.
If you like this recipe you have to see our orange chicken recipe.
For the chicken:
- 1.55 lbs (700 gr) chicken breast skinless and boneless
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tbsp (1.52 fl oz) (45 ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (53 oz) (15 gr) mustard
- 1/2 C (2.30 oz) (65 gr) all purpose flour
- 1/2 C (2.60 oz) (74 gr) corn starch
- Vegetable oil for frying (not olive oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp (0.50 fl oz) (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove , diced in small cubes
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz) (30 ml) honey
- 1/3 C (2.70 fl oz) (80 ml) soy sauce
- 1/2 C (4.23 oz) (120 gr) ketchup
- 3 tbsp (1.58 oz) (45 gr) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz) (30 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (0.50 fl oz) (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (0.28 oz) (8 gr) corn starch
- 2 scallions, green or spring onions
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
For the chicken:
- Chop the chicken in dices of about 0.80 inches (2 cm) and add salt and pepper.
- In a bowl using a for, mix the egg, milk and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large plate put the flour along with the corn starch and mix. In a medium size pot over medium heat put enough quantity of oil for frying.
- Take the chicken pieces and coat them with the egg mixture and then with the flour. Kepp doing this with all the chicken pieces.
- Once the oil is hot enough for frying 375º F (180º C). Add about 7 or 8 pieces of chicken and cook for 5 minutes until they turn golden brown. Put the fried chicken on a plate with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Repeat the process with all the chicken until you are done.