Homemade almond butter is easier to make than what you think. Sure, you can buy almond butter in any supermarket (even though it is not this way everywhere in the world) but is is way better making it at home, and in fact, it actually tastes better than lots of the store bought ones I have tried.Jump to Recipe
Anyways, since we are now in Spain, it is harder to find almond butter than it is in some places in Mexico or in the US. They do sell it some places here, but the truth is I know prefer to make it at home, it is easier and tastes better for me.
This recipe is great, because it only calls for almonds (and some spices) and that’s it. So you can be sure that you are only eating almond pretty much, when eating this almond butter. It is just crushed almonds and it’s own natural oil, which comes out when being processed.
What you do need to make this is a food processor. It is needed, because it is the only way, at home, to get the desired texture that is so typical of almond butter. You won’t get the same result crushing the almonds witha a rolling pin, for example.
This recipe males enough to fill three mason jars (of the small ones). And it is so good those three jars will be gone in a matter of days, as it always happens when we make it. Use it to spread over some toast or pancakes or just straight out of the jar with a spoon. My favorite way to eat it is on some toast with some banana slices on top and some maple syrup or honey and chia seeds. I can assure you it is great for breakfast.
If you like this recipe, you have to see pur applesauce recipe. It is so easy to make and such a must have in any kitchen.
Homemade almond butter
- 2 C almonds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp sugar , or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (180°C) for 10 minutes.
- Place the almonds on a baking sheet making sure they´re not on top of each other, and once the oven is hot, cook them for 8 to 10 minutes or until they turn golden brown, being careful not to burn them.
- Then, put them in a processor and mix until a paste forms.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and salt and mix again. Now it´s ready!