Chinese fried rice is one of those things we all like. I, personally, have always enjoyed chinese food, plus the city I grew up in has a strong chinese food tradition, which is why almost every sunday our parents would take us out to eat chinese or order in.Jump to Recipe
Now, I am not saying this recipe is an authentic chinese fried rice recipe, because it’s probably not, but what I am saying is that this is a great fried rice recipe, that my sister and I make every so often because we love it and it reminds us of those sundays. I am pretty certain it is not the original chinese recipe, but this is the way we like making and eating fried rice.
For this recipe, we use sausage as the only protein, but you could easily add, for example, chicken, and use less sausages and it would taste great. We also use onion, red pepper and zucchini.
Now, one of the key steps to getting that great flavor is using sesame oil, because it gives it a really particular flavor that reminds me of chinese food. Another important thing is to let the rice dry completely, as the step 1 of our recipe says, because this will bake the rice fry better and make it crispy, as it should be. This, even if it seems like nonsense is really a crucial step to getting that great fried rice we all like.
Also, something to keep in mind is that when cooking the rice, while frying it, it is pretty common for the rice to start sticking to the saucepan or wok we are using. Which is why we recommend you stir it every so often, so this doesn’t happen, though you have to be careful not to overdo this.
For the rice:
- 1 1/2 C white rice
- 3 C water
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 zucchini or a small one
- 2 carrots medium size
- 4 sausages
- garlic salt to taste
- sesame oil as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 1/3 C soy sauce
- 1/3 C white wine
- 1/6 C brown sugar
For the rice:
- In a pot, cook the rice with the amount of water called for. Once cooked, let it dry completely.
- Chop the onion, garlic, red pepper, zucchini, carrot and sausage in small pieces and set aside.
- In a pan to medium heat, with some sesame oil, cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Then add the pepper, zucchini and carrot and keep stiring. Lastly stir in the sausage, and season to taste using garlic salt, pepper and salt, and cook for a few more minutes.
For the sauce:
- In a different pan to low heat, pour the soy sauce, white wine and brown sugar, mix a little and then let it sit to reduce. The sauce will be ready when it turns thicker (about 8 min) and the wine´s alcohol has evaporated.
To finish up:
- In a big pan, with some sesame oil, put the rice to sautee, adding some salt and pepper, for about 10 minutes, stiring non-stop. Then stir in the vegetables, using some more sesame oil if needed.
- Lastly, add the sauce to the rice and stir. Use some more soy sauce if needed. Cook for some more minutes and the rice will be ready.